Thread: Snow Storm of the Century

Default Snow Storm of the Century

Bikeman,

I hope your not in that mess of a storm, 100 inches and more on the way.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by debo
    Bikeman,
    I hope your not in that mess of a storm, 100 inches and more on the way.
    We've gotten off easy. Maybe a foot of new snow this week. My wife's family farm, which is only twenty-five north of here is buried under several feet. By Monday morning, they could have nine or ten feet out of this event. "Lake effect" is an under-studied micro climate. We've always known what and how it happens but now we're getting to the why. "Global warming" is going to be a player in this a lot more than folks around here current realize.

David

It started snowing in earnest on Tuesday and it's still comin down. The snow banks are over my head and I'm 6'3". Can't wait to get home and see how many feet of snow the plow has put into my driveway. The plow dumped about four foot yesterday. To add insult to injury, the wind has been in the 20 to 35 mph range most of the time. We're going to get into the 30's next week. Folks around here will think summer has arrived.

David

that's insane! we got about 2 inches tops here in college park, md. i was hoping for more cause i love snow, but oh well. after the snow, we got a bunch of ice that formed a film on top of the snow so strong you can walk on it without breaking the surface... or run and slide across like it's an ice skating rink... good times...

anyways, hope there aren't any serious problems for you and everyone in the area due to the storm.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

I thought Lake Ontario froze over ever year but I guess not.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by debo
    I thought Lake Ontario froze over ever year but I guess not.
    Due to the very mild early winter, all the Great Lakes except Erie are wide open. This is one of the main reasons for the record setting snows. The unusually high winds have been passing over Superior, Huron and James Bay before running the full fetch of Lake Ontario. A rare set-up this late in the winter.

David