Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&K shuts down?

Default M&K shuts down?

The M&K website has a posting that the factory has been closed:

http://mksound.com/

DaveF - any thoughts on your old employer?

It dosen't appear that M&K is shutting down, just closing their factory. They're another in a very long line of companies moving production off-shore. Wonder who's factory got the business?

David

Have you seen any news that they are just moving factories? Placing that statement on the front page without any clarification implies a significant shutdown in my book. Companies generally file a factory move in a small press release if they say anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Have you seen any news that they are just moving factories?
    No news. Their website remains unchanged. If they were going to fold the business instead of just shutting down the plant, I'd expect them to say so. I'm sure more will come out if it's an actual cessation of business.

David

It is my understanding that they are completely shut down and every employee (including the sales force) has been let go.

I know it might be difficult to accept but I strongly doubt that the business itself will continue to operate at any level. I won't publicly share what I know or what I have known for many years, but let me just say that I am not surprised by this.

I am deeply saddened though and I have some dear friends who are jobless right now -- no advanced warnings were given but the *signs* were obvious for all to see.

I have read many of the various online posts and there is a lot of misinformation being shared, speculation and hope is a good thing but I am quite confident that M&K is permanently shut down.

M&K was a pioneer in the industry and I am very proud to have been an important part of that company during its best years.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Wow - they are indeed gone. I suspected that they weren't foolish enough to post something like that if it was just a factory move.

Thanks for the info Dave.

M&K was a pioneer in the industry and I am very proud to have been an important part of that company during its best years.
    Dave - did you open Ascend right after leaving M&K ?

You are very welcome Brad...

I have so many mixed emotions about this that sway between anger and sadness. Mostly I have been thinking about some of the GREAT times I had there, including working directly with Ken on many various projects, wonderful conversations with the late Dr. Lester Field, enjoying the warm and friendly company of the late Jonas Miller (one of the nicest guys in the world) and all the fun I would have with the production crew (still unable to drink cheap Tequilla anymore )

Quote Originally Posted by chas
    Dave - did you open Ascend right after leaving M&K ?
    No -- I took about a year off from "regular" employment and spent that time doing consulting work while also designing the CBM-170 and HTM-200. THAT was a fun year for me
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    No -- I took about a year off from "regular" employment and spent that time doing consulting work while also designing the CBM-170 and HTM-200. THAT was a fun year for me
    "Consulting work" - is that what they call racquetball these days?

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    "Consulting work" - is that what they call racquetball these days?
    Ha... If there was ever any money in racquetball, you guys would own different loudspeakers ...... and I would still be in good shape
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com