Thread: Denon 2807 v/s Denon 1905

Default Denon 2807 v/s Denon 1905

What up Ascend crew!?!?!?

Ok, here are first thoughts on the 2807 & 1905.

First, I want to put out there that I only did simple testing in 2.0 with "tone defeat" on - which means it locks treble and bass to +/- 0. Speakers are 8'8" apart and I am 12' back, centered. Quick and dirty is there is little that I found different b/t the two at the -30dB levels I was using.

Using a RS SPL, I set the HSU test CD to pink noise (track 8) @ 60 Hz dead on @ 12' for both which led to the 1905 being @ -26dB and the 2807 @ -30dB. My first thoughts were that the 2807 will have more headroom to play with if necessary (which it should b/c it is rated 110W/ch and the 1905 @ 80Wch). FYI, I called Denon and they told me that the 1905 was rated 80W/ch but running full out @ 7.1 and loud was more like 70W/ch. However, if I was using SACD and analog, it would be more like 90W/ch. They also state they are high current amps but do not test like HK so I can't tell you what current they are capable of at what level. I will say the Denon site puts them @ a current rating of 4.5A for the 1905. I don't know if that is per channel or what and they could not tell me with certainty b/c they don't test this way. Anyway, you can review them here:

D1905 - http://usa.denon.com/ArchivedAVRecei...mageField.y=14

D2807 - http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3038.asp

So to move on... the 1905 does very well against the 2807 in all aspects music. The 2807 has a seemingly more crisp presentation but it may not be noticeable to many of you unless you have "clever ears" and can distinguish pitch/tone well. I am one of those people! I used a little Kenny G, Sarah McLachlan (must have), Simon and Garfunkel and Josh Groban (I was going for vocals more than I was musical and lastly a little of the Titanic soundtrack. The voices of all were spot on and ranged/imaged well with both. I would give the slight edge to the 2807 for crispness and the word is still out on if it can out do the 1905 on clarity during higher pitched sound playback. The chimes of Kenny G in Songbird and one other I forget the name of (track 1) were sweet and delicate in both but I felt they imaged from left to right a little more. When I closed my eyes and heard them, they started to my far left and moved into the center and faded just to right of center a foot or so with the 1905. With the 2807, the imaged to center and further to the right 2-3 feet. It is small things like this that I was listening for during the hour session. They both perform well with vocals and I don't know that I consciously heard enough difference in them last night to form an opinion either way with that session so I give them a tie. I did not use any rock or instumental music much but with Titanic and their different variety of instruments, they both seemed to produce quality sound very near each other.

I will get into this more later but it was late and I was reduced to -30 dB b/c my wife was in bed and I didn't want to REALLY disturb her... at least not for music

I will have more next week but I would say first glance that they are quite similar in output and quality. I might be inclined to give another slight edge to the D2807 over the PE81 for quality of sound and ease of use. I am not putting them head to head as I am pitting them against the 1905 and going from there.

This is all I have for now so hang tight for more later. I am hoping to get another to help me this weekend if we can work it out. He has the 340SE's as well and this would be best to test side by side with different receivers and same speakers as my current testing consists of both connected to the 340SE's and one is off while the other on and corded to my Technics 5-disk changer. I listen to the song(s) and then turn it off, unhook from one and reconnect to the other receiver, turn it on and relisten - thus there is a lag time of 20 seconds b/t hearing each receiver if I am accurate and quick with the change over. If any of you know a better way to do this, please let me know!

Chat at you guys later
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 02-09-2007 at 06:12 AM.