1 7.69%
  • Denon

4 30.77%
  • Sony

1 7.69%
  • Yamaha

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/V Receiver poll, please advise...

Did the Harmon Kardon owners buy because of Ascend's recommendations? I own both Sony and Yamaha but could only vote once.

Default locked poll

Kingrsl,

yea, I locked to only accept one as I figured it would skew the poll and I also figured you would put your favorite of the two (hopefully). It isn't life and death, just curious. I think if you read the "Holy Crap" thread, it will explain a little more why HK might be the one of choice and why Dave sells them. Either way, they apparently make their speakers sound better (assuming you like that HK sound of course). Check out that other thread, a really good write up, few of them actually, about power, amps, ohms, etc. I think a lot of people will get a lot from that and it will change peoples perceived notions and buying power from here out.

Default HK or other High Current Amps Work Best

I personally much prefer high current amps.

Mine are powered by Bryston. But with your choices, go HK.

Default Seems to be the case

Dave seems to agree! As do I after digesting some information on another thread.

So here is a question to you... if I like my receiver (Denon 1905) but am open to others, and wish to add watts or amps, would you suggest that I sell mine and spend another $300 - $400 and get a newer amp with more watts or amps and features, or upgrade to an external amp like your Bryston? I am fine with my receiver and the sound is good to me (although I will be testing/comparing it to others out there this weekend by suggestion of Dave and others) but I do want more power for dynamics, headroom, etc. Since the clarity and quality of sound doesn't seem to be related to the power, but the receiver parts and quality of those parts, all I need to be concerned with is another amp or two per channel but if it is more, that is fine since I would have to exceed 22W/ch before I were to possibly damage the 340SE's with their 400W max limit. FYI, I will not be listening to 117dB or 118dB levels for longer than a second in a movie like they have in some of todays so-called "scary movies!"

If you are satisfied with the overall SQ and features of the Denon, adding an outboard amp with higher current capability will most likely give you what you are after. A good seperate amp will usually outperform most high current receivers. If you don't like the result, there is a good used market for power amps.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables