Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Emotiva & bi-amping 340SEs

Default testing

Leon55,

Yea, right now the Denon 1905 is holding out well against the more expensive and more powerful Pioneer 81. I have only done a few low level listening levels with music that I know and nothing is missing or being revealed more from one over the other. I have only used -50dB volume during the short one hour test and from there I believe I would give 5% to the P81 only because I THINK I hear a touch of clarity in a particular Kenny G song (First time I have pulled that out in about..... 10+ years!?) when there are high to low sounding chimes. I will continue to test. I don't NEED to replace my D1905 so I won't if there is not a noticeable difference in the presentation or sound quality that is better apprecaited to my ear.

Just to give a quick update on the LPA-1 that I got. Last week I sent it back. With the Pioneer 1014 driving the Ascends it was not worth it for $500. There was basically no difference between the two until you really start getting to high SPL levels (>90db) Even then, it was a subtle difference. So anyone with a good mid-priced or better receiver that has Ascend speakers, IMHO don't bother with an amplifier unless you like playing material at ear bleeding levels for long lengths at a time.

So instead, since I still had a bit of upgraditis, I purchased a pair of 340SE mains to replace my 170SE mains last Thursday! Now I am anxiously waiting their arrival! I think this will probably be a noticable upgrade. Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.

Gov
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.
    You are aware of the mandatory Forum member discount? Thought so.

David

Default how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Also, I figure the 170SE's will be easy to sell.

Gov
    Since you can't sell on here, please PM me with your asking price...

340's arrived today!!!! WOW!!!! So far, so good. I have already boxed up the 170's These things look like monsters compared to the 170's. The one thing that I immediately noticed was how good they sound in 2 channel stereo with my sub. Much more fuller sounding than the 170's in 2 channel stereo. Oh well, off to listen to more stuff!!!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

Default Gov

Just curious, why are you not swaping out the 200's with the 170's. I love mc music with my 170s? I have the 1014 rec as you do.

I figured someone would ask that. It is really not possible in my room otherwise I definately would. I have to hang one of the speakers from the ceiling and my wife would probably kick me out of the house if I hung a 170 in that fashion The other speaker would have to be shelf mounted in the corner. My room layout is what has prevented me from stepping up to a 7.1 config. So the 200's will have to stay put. Anyways, I only have about 5 or 6 DVD-A's, a couple of DTS music discs and no plans to get any SACD stuff since I don't have a universal dvd player. The 200's are no slouch for any type of listening.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's

Default Gov

I thought as much. I tried to find pictures of your setup, I know i've seen them some place. I'm lucky, I have a bonus room over 3 car garage and made it my getaway place. I have the 170's on the side walls about 5 feet high and they work great for me. thanks.

Default leon55

Hey buddy! Hope you have been well. Did you bring an Eagles DVD/CD over when you came to help me audition? I have one here and I don't know if it belongs to you, your BIL or Dan. Please let me know.

Sorry if I seemingly highjacked your thread....

Default Audible

Hey Kevin,I know my brother in law had the hotel california dvd-a, but I don't know if he is missing it. I will ask him. How is the new system sounding? I know you are excited about your sub, but hav'nt heard you say much about the speakers.