Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Emotiva & bi-amping 340SEs

Default will send it today

Leon55,

Will send the disk today when I get home but will go out tomorrow with morning mail ~

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    Can the 340SEs be bi-amped? Or just bi-wired. Ie., could I bi-amp my front 340SEs, 125w x 2 per speaker, for all 6 channels, and then let my receiver (HK 240) run the surround speakers?
    Sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm still curious as to what you did with this. Cyber, did you end up getting the LPA-1?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you here. I was looking at this amp for my 340SE's, and what I was thinking about doing was running the LPA-1 in 6 channels and using 2 channels to passively bi-amp (correct usage?) each of my three 340's. Oh and I would use my HK635 as a pre-amp and to power the surrounds.

I understand some of you do not think that this type of amp set up will have a noticeable increase in performance, but I would like to try and listen for myself none the less. I'm just looking to make sure that this is safe for my speakers, I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to them!!!

Thanks,
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Nope, haven't upgraded.

But if you want to read more about the Emotiva stuff, try here.

Quote Originally Posted by ajt976
    Sorry for digging up an older thread, but I'm still curious as to what you did with this. Cyber, did you end up getting the LPA-1?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you here. I was looking at this amp for my 340SE's, and what I was thinking about doing was running the LPA-1 in 6 channels and using 2 channels to passively bi-amp (correct usage?) each of my three 340's. Oh and I would use my HK635 as a pre-amp and to power the surrounds.

I understand some of you do not think that this type of amp set up will have a noticeable increase in performance, but I would like to try and listen for myself none the less. I'm just looking to make sure that this is safe for my speakers, I would be heartbroken if something were to happen to them!!!

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Well I have this amp with my 340 L/R/C and 200 surrounds. Actually, this is my second time owning it, as I hastly returned the first one. I am very happy with it and it is better than using my Pioneer 1014 for amplification. I now use the 1014 as a pre/pro which does well with the LPA-1. The reason I decided to get the LPA-1 again was because I liked the fact of having more headroom and piece of mind knowing the Ascends are getting plenty of current at high SPL's, and minimizing the risk of damaging them. I have a tendency to play material at over 90db quite a bit, especially music. If it was not for my listen habits, the Pioneer would have been just fine. Actually, I cannot tell the difference between the Pioneers amps and the LPA-1 under 90db. Over 90db, the LPA-1 begins to be quite noticably better than the Pioneer.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Nope, haven't upgraded.

thanks a lot, man... now i'm itching to buy an amp because of that thread. i'd probably go with the LPA-1 simply because of the price and i've heard so many good things about it being paired with ascends...

this home theatre business is addicting
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Yea, I did manage to sift through those 350 some posts!

Has anyone else had any experience with this kind of "bi-amping" setup with the LPA-1? I was going to get the Ultra Theater set and have a little shootout between the LMC-1 and my HK635. (Oh, and is that 40% off next-gen deal over yet?) I'm thinking that either I'll do the LPA-1 with the setup I described above, or just spend the extra cash and get the MSP-1 with only 3 of the mono-blocks for my 340 L/C/R. If the numbers in the AVSForum thread are correct, the 3 channel MPS-1 would cost me around $900.

Given the choice, what would you all do?
    -Andrew