Thread: timbre matching

Default timbre matching

Anyone know if the Axiom Audio QS4 or QS8's timbre match to the 340SE's as surrounds? Also, anyone have any experience on the Ventriloquist 12's and their compatibility with the 340SE's? Considering them if the HTM's are too large for wife and we have to get smaller ones. Please advise if you can.

The V-12's are fine for what they are but they will not match the 340's in any way shape or form. Last November, I installed a pair of 200's for a friend who also has the V-12's (different room). We did a comparison. There is a major difference between the 200's and the V-12's. I can't imagine how that difference would translate to the 340's.
    Folks are using the QS's with good results. Maybe one of them will chime in.
    You have my sympathy on the WAF. I have the 200's on adjustable stands that I have to move out of the way when not in use. She who runs the house (and me) requires it.

David

Default Thanks

Bikeman,

Thanks. In what way were the 200's superior to the V12? I know they are much larger with larger drivers, just would like some input. I had an old boss with a saying about his wife. "My wife is a queen and I treat her like one. However, she is living in the king's castle!" Most things I agree to disagree with if we need to do that, although very seldom. This time I am sticking to some guns b/c I told her about them, built a cutout of them and she agreed. Now that she wants to change some designing things and build into the walls, that came after we agreed that the speaker and sound system was my only asking for that room. Anyway, I bent on the bookshelf spkrs, movies are not movies without the surround and sub! FYI, I do feel bad about the sub size... really! I didn't think it would be that large. I have hid it as best I can but may still put it under the stairs if the sound is ok so it is out of there completely. Time will tell but I have to try it when she is away or she will lose her mind that I cut a hole in the wall!

Can you advise on the speakers best for timbre matching Iif any other than QS4 or QS8's, with the 340SE's and the difference on the 200's and V12's?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Can you advise on the speakers best for timbre matching Iif any other than QS4 or QS8's, with the 340SE's and the difference on the 200's and V12's?
    I know speakers (all larger than the 200's) that don't timbre match the 340's but I don't know of any that do. My experience is a bit limited on this point.
    There is nothing that the V-12's do well in comparison to the 200's. Size matters and it's pretty evident once you listen to them both. The V-12's strength is it's use as a system. The whole is greater than the parts. Except the sub of course. I'm really impressed with the HTF-1. In a small room, it's amazing.

David

Keep in mind that while the QS8's are supposed to be great surrounds, they are actually larger than the HTM-200's.