Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Toshiba Universal Players Announced

Right...it is 20bit encoded into 16bit...compressed.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definit...843768,00.html

But like I said...I heard no difference. There is not much HDCD stuff out there anyways.

-curtis

From what I've read, both DVD-A and SACD are higher in resolution than HDCD. Plus you have the option for multi-channel.

I hear huge upgrades in HDCD endoded disc. Is it the HDCD encoding or a superior recording? Can never be certain, can we?

picasso_04901@yahoo.com

FWIW....Microsoft owns the HDCD technology.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

HDCD is a compression scheme I thought. My receiver is HDCD capatible...and when that HDCD light comes on, I hear no difference is quality.

-curtis
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just read that in order for you to hear the difference, you need to use your digital out from your HDCD capable receiver. Otherwise, no difference in sound.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gregisme

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

HDCD is a compression scheme I thought. My receiver is HDCD capatible...and when that HDCD light comes on, I hear no difference is quality.

-curtis

I just read that in order for you to hear the difference, you need to use your digital out from your HDCD capable receiver. Otherwise, no difference in sound.

Yup...that's what I did.

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ben_Wood

From what I've read, both DVD-A and SACD are higher in resolution than HDCD. Plus you have the option for multi-channel.

Well I don't have any doubt about that, but what I've been trying to find out is.. which brings out better sound from standard "redbook" cds? That's what I'll mostly be listening to over the next few years, at least. Both HDCD and DVD-A/SACD players claim to improve regular CD sound.

If they are both about equal in doing that, I would go for the convenience of a CD changer with HDCD. Then in a couple years down the line I'll pick-up DVD--A/SACD hybrid as prices come down and titles multiple. If however, a DVD-A/SACD player is better at that, then I would go in that direction (even though a changer isn't possible there).

Btw, the really expensive Denon DVD players, 5900 and higher, feature both HDCD and DVD-A/SACD. Out of the question for me, but it suggests the continued legitimacy of HDCD even in light of DVD-A/SACD advancements.

To expand on that, here's an excerpt from this link (http://hdcd.com/partners/proaudio/hdcdmix.html) that speaks to this:

Granting that HDCD will work for DVD-Audio, the question arises again as to why you would want to use it in a format that already has such high resolution. Ritter's answer is that better resolution actually increases the need for optimizing all links in the recording/playback chain. "Let's take a camera analogy," he says, "where HDCD is like a lens with very high resolution and very low chromatic aberration. That quality can actually be better appreciated if you are making a 4x5 plate than a 35mm image. So the truth is that the advantages of all the work we do to achieve extremely low distortion and extremely high resolution are even more evident in a high-resolution format like DVD-Audio than with the CD."

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gregisme

-curtis

Yup...that's what I did.

-curtis

well, ok then.

Thats odd about HDCD having to use a digital output, SACD and DVD-A have to use the analog outs. Does that make HDCD the antithesis of SACd and DVD-A? []

they don't play well together so you must keep them seperated. lol.

Incidently, the "secret guys" are likely to be doing a review of the Denon 2200 at the end of the month or the beginning of next, according to another website (Home Theater SPOT, or whatever it's called).