Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Toshiba Universal Players Announced

Ben....you got a link for us?

-curtis

thanks Ben...stuff like this can only help SACD and DVD-A.

-curtis

I'm so confused.

What's the most efficient, smartest way to go (total budget of about $600).. buy a solid cd 5 disc changer model, then get a seperate single tray DVD player that will accomodate both SACD & DVD-Audio?

I need both a DVD & CD player, and I know that seperate players for each format, as well as single tray units for each, are considered to be of better quality. So.. I thought I could get a solid CD changer unit, since that is most prevalent audio format, thus wisest use of a changer unit. Prices are low as we've reached the limit of the standard CD format, so good quality can be had, even with a changer at a moderate price.

Then, for DVDs and a relatively small SACD/DVD-A market, a single tray unit makes more sense. Saves $$$, better quality, convenience of disc change-outs not so important, etc.

And that's not even considering all the DVI/HDCP/HDMI/HDMI v.2 issues! Too much for my brain to entertain at the moment, so will try to keep the it simple.

How's my reasoning? please critique me. be gentle.

Gregisme,
    For $600 you can pick up a Denon DVD-2200 universal player. I've been very pleased with mine, excellent audio quality on both Hi-Rez formats as well as redbook cds. The video is reported to be on par with the highly-regarded Denon 1600 and 2900 players. Theres a review of the 2200 in the January issue of Sound & Vision.

I did a little research on the 2200, including reading that Sound & Vision review. It sounds like a really sound unit Ben.

But it dawned on me that I don't expect to have anything beyond a 3.1 setup anytime soon. So, there's no reason for me to get a player that has DVD-Audio. Or, would it sound better even on a 3.1 system? Same question with SACD?

Then there are all those connectivity issues that I can't quite wrap my brain around. And of course the spectre of 'blue laser' looms.

So now, I'm leaning towards getting a good CD changer, and just a basic $100 DVD player, and await the emergence of blue laser units a couple years or so down the line, and hopefully better clarifications of those connectivity questions (HDMI ad nauseum).

Gregisme,
    Both SACD and DVD-A have stereo tracks that have the highest resolution available. I believe that some DVD-As have stereo tracks as high as 24/192. I primarily listen to the multi-channel tracks, but the stereo tracks are an interesting option.

So is the 24/192 better than the HDCD quality? I think those are 20 bit, correct me if I"m wrong.

HDCD is a compression scheme I thought. My receiver is HDCD capatible...and when that HDCD light comes on, I hear no difference is quality.

-curtis

My (possibly mistaken) understanding is that the HDCD disks are 20 bit resolution instead of the standard 16 bit. In order to hear that increase in resolution, you must have a newer CD player that is HDCD capable.