Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Repost of 8-10 spkr shootout on 1/14

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    Also, a CD you should pick up for great female vocals, instruments, piano, etc. is Fiona Apple's "Tidal" (her debut album). There's a great variety of tracks. Track 6 "The First Taste" starts off with her singing over the piano, and you can hear her lips, like the moisture on the lips and the slight "smack" when she separates them - then part-way through the song an amazing bass line starts in.

It is for this reason (among many others) that I really appreciate Sarah Mclachlan (SM) and her work. Again, the feeling that is passed is incredible. Also, her breaths, lips separating, etc add such a quality feel to every track. Just for to be immersed in the sound and stage of music is what they are about and why many do what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    It is actually in the Ascend speaker manuals.
    I'll have to try that with mine, see how it sounds. Right now with the equilateral triangle, music sounds great in the sweet spot, but the imaging breaks up if I move to the sides.

I think DaveF made a post about imaging and soundstage in a room having a lot to do with reflections or the lack of reflections.
    -curtis

I have GIK Acoustics' "224" panels, one at each 1st reflection point. Plus some bass traps. It already sounds really good. But I'm all about experimenting to get the most out of my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    I have GIK Acoustics' "224" panels, one at each 1st reflection point. Plus some bass traps. It already sounds really good. But I'm all about experimenting to get the most out of my setup.
    You are lucky that you have the kind of room that allows you to try different things.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    You are lucky that you have the kind of room that allows you to try different things.

Room, and wife.
    Yeah, my room is on the medium/large side, and my viewing/listening area has enough room to move stuff around.

Here's my room, old picture w/ no treatments, etc.:

My gallery, with my Ascends and VTF-3 MK2, treatments, etc:
    http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...me=&way=&date=
    Last edited by cyberbri; 01-22-2007 at 12:01 PM.

yes...I remember that picture and the human bass traps.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Hey Q,

Would you be willing to call me later to explain that so I can give it a go tonight? I am hoping to be home at 4:30-5pm EST if you have a few minutes. Please send me a PM and I will reply with my phone # if you are free and willing.
    I went out of town this past weekend. If you have a setup disc like Avia it will tell you how to do it. If your receiver has test tones then just grap your sound meter and put it at your listening position, mic towards the ceiling, turn your receiver to 0 and go in the receiver's set-up menu and adjust each channel up or down until there are all at whatever dB level you choose as reference 0. I split the difference between Dolby and THX and use 80db.

Here is a good post for Radio Shack sound meter corrections by model.- http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/2273-post13.html

Aha. I just read the manual. The formula is a bit different than what I was thinking. It's not 0.73 x the distance from the LP to either speaker, but 0.73 x the distance from the LP to the midpoint between the two speakers (like a "T").

They already sound great where they are now, so I'll have to see if I can even move them. That would put them pretty close to the sides of the TV and almost block the pathway between the TV and the coffee table...