Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repost of 8-10 spkr shootout on 1/14

Default Repost of 8-10 spkr shootout on 1/14

Ok everyone, it is official and scheduled... here is the lineup as of 1/11:

DENON 1905 pushing 80W/channel + SACD/DVD player + HSU VTF-2 MK 3 + RS SPL meter x 2

$548 - CMT 340 SE's
    $440 - Axiom M2v2's & M60's
    $1000 (5sp surround - 3 1500's & 2 1000's) Sapphire 1500's
    $800 & $2200 respectively - JM Lab 806V's bookshelf & 826V's floor standing
    $few hundred new?? - Technics SB K915's (current 17 yr old)
    $ - ?? - Boston's (don't know model)
    * looking to get the NHT Classic Three ($800) and Energy RC-10 ($550) if I can but not if I have to pay a 15% restocking fee - sorry fellas . Might try for Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's too ($800+)?

I suspect a five hour shootout and a few Tylenol or Advil shooters will lead to some cheers and tears for some of us! I am hoping to see if we can all write something up here and and at Axiom and HSU when we are finished. I don't think it will be as elaborate as many others and I don't have that kind of time but we will provide our opinions - at least "I" will provide mine. Stay tuned...

Question to any of you. Wouldn't having a more powerful system (say 100W or 110W/channel make the speakers cleaner and/or louder at the same volume? I am considering selling off my Denon 1905 for a more powerful receiver if this is the case and it will help to better secure the quality and sound of the speakers. Also I want to keep from underpowering them at higher Db's - suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Question to any of you. Wouldn't having a more powerful system (say 100W or 110W/channel make the speakers cleaner and/or louder at the same volume? I am considering selling off my Denon 1905 for a more powerful receiver if this is the case and it will help to better secure the quality and sound of the speakers. Also I want to keep from underpowering them at higher Db's - suggestions?
    You won't notice any difference until you power way up. And going by specs is usually NOT the way to go. If your Denon really does 80w a channel, you'll want double that to get any real headroom. Room size, configuation and distance to the LP are all important when trying to determine if more power will make any real difference.

David

Default Why can't we just be satisfied?

I am 13' to the LP and have a 15'6" x 15'11" x 18'h room open to above, so about 4500cuft. I spoke with DENON just now about my 1905. They told me it IS an accurate rating for the DENON @ 80W. I am at a loss. DENON told me that upgrading when I choose to the 2307 would be a much better jump for me b/ cof new board and additional and upgraded components, pass through HDMI, etc. I am looking into it but logic and physics of sound would tell me that 100W/channel would be better, louder and cleaner than my 80W!?

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the layout. I can't save it from .xls into anything offered.

So taking what you said above... what would you recommend to help with not turning up as loud to get more volume from speakers so I am not near the +/- 0Db in volume on the 1905?

Send me a PM with your email and I can send you the layout. I can't save it from .xls into anything offered.
    If you have it Excel, you could take a screenshot (hit the print screen key), edit it in Microsoft Paint, save it as a JPEG and go from there.

Default you mean like this?

Let's try this... sorry it is small, it won't allow much in size!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I I am looking into it but logic and physics of sound would tell me that 100W/channel would be better, louder and cleaner than my 80W!?
    For every 3dB increase in volume it takes doubling the watts. It takes a fairly quiet room to pick up a 2 dB difference. Going from 80 watts to 100 watts isn't going give you even 1dB increase in volume capability.

How good the amplifier section is makes a big difference in ability to deliver power on demand with dynamic volume increases. They are after all called amplifiers not wattifiers.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-11-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Default Where can I get a "Wattifer?"

I know what you are saying. So what do you suggest that I do to play cleaner sound with less effort and not have to get to the +/- 0Db volume to play pretty loud? I would like to be able to listen to a movie loud if I wish without having to push the amp to this 0 level and having no headroom left for more to avoid distortion or clipping. At 0 now it is pretty loud but I have the back off the sub even more to prevent it from pushing to much. Is there an answer without spending $1K+ on a receiver? This DENON should be all that I need for my space. I do notice that when I play 2ch stereo, it is louder and when I switch to Dolby Pro Logic II or a few others, it reduces the sound...

What dB level did you calibrate 0 to?

Default Denon recievers

I had the same problem with my Denon 3805. What I have done is I use a Mcintosh 2505 amp (50 watts) for power, and that problem went away for the most part. -17 is about as loud as I can stand with both audio and video.
    Hope this helps.

Jim

Default Guilty!

I have not done the testing to calibrate anything. I don't have the 9V battery required to power the RS SPL meter, keep forgetting and once I am home...

I will get that today as we are blasting away with the speaker shootout listed at another thread below this Sunday so I will need it and need to calibrate the HSU first. DENON is a great brand but why would this case be a problel with them? I would prefer NOT to buy another or even add an amp as there should be no need. I may have to though just in case. I just don't want to come close to any damage or negative things happening with the speakers I choose. I should be fine but we will see...