Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A/V reciever for CMT340 SE's - best one...

I didn't like the Panasonic--it was harsh and fatiguing when turned up. But then again, the HK was a bit fatiguing as well *without* the built in room EQ. It was a major factor for me b/c I have an odd shaped room with huge openings and the HK was able to EQ the sound perfectly. The Panasonic does not have any EQ circuit...you get what it puts out, thats it. If you've got 4 walls and a rectangular room, I would try the Panasonic, otherwise, I would look for a used HK 435/635/445/645.

Default New receiver

Quote Originally Posted by badassfajita
    I didn't like the Panasonic--it was harsh and fatiguing when turned up. But then again, the HK was a bit fatiguing as well *without* the built in room EQ. It was a major factor for me b/c I have an odd shaped room with huge openings and the HK was able to EQ the sound perfectly. The Panasonic does not have any EQ circuit...you get what it puts out, thats it. If you've got 4 walls and a rectangular room, I would try the Panasonic, otherwise, I would look for a used HK 435/635/445/645.
    Thanks for the advice. I see HK is coming out with a new line in April with loads of HDMI imputs and more bells and whistles. Hopefully I might get a good buy on the old line around that time.

I have the XR57 with 340SEs and 170SEs in a 5.1 setup, crossover at 80hz, all speakers set to 'small', and I think it sounds very clear. I'm in a large room with high ceilings.

If I wanted to, I could turn the treble down, but I didn't feel like I needed to. Not fatiguing to my ears.
    Last edited by Grayson73; 01-17-2007 at 12:51 PM.

Default Which one...

Ok, how about b/t the HK 635, Pioneer VSX-81TXV, Denon 2307 or Denon 2807?

Quote Originally Posted by audibleconnoisseur
    Ok, how about b/t the HK 635, Pioneer VSX-81TXV, Denon 2307 or Denon 2807?
    These are all good receivers as is the Panny. If you can't audition them in your home, then just pick the one with features you want and a price you can afford and don't have anxiety over your decision. just enjoy the music.
    There is one thing about the Panny that's not related to SQ. The remote does not handle all the commands. I have to physically go to the receiver and make some changes. I can live with that but it's definitely something to consider before purchase.

David

I was going to get the xr-57, but I just wasnt satisfied with the features it offered. I was also looking at the lower end pioneer elites. Then i found the pioneer vsx-1016. It had the feautures i wanted, the same processor and amp as the lower end elites ( I really couldnt find a difference other than hdmi options). Ill update you on the sound as soon as I get my speakers.

I've got a Sony STR-DA5200ES on the way. I'll let you know what I think of it after I do some testing. I haven't gotten my Ascend's yet but next week should be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrsl
    I've got a Sony STR-DA5200ES on the way. I'll let you know what I think of it after I do some testing. I haven't gotten my Ascend's yet but next week should be very interesting.
    Is that one of the Sony units that will NOT play a 1.5mb DTS signal correctly?

If it is, you will NOT be able to play DD+ (HD DVD) over optical connection, it will sound gurgled ( doesn't have enough bandwidth ).

I hope it's not one of those, I've read alot of problems on the HD DVD forum over at AVSFORUM, and Older units, and some Sony units have issues, they play DTS fine, but aren't suited for 1.5mb of DTS.
    The older chipsets were NOT designed to handle that kind of bandwidth, they were designed to handle 1/2 the DTS rate of 768kb/s, which is all that was needed until High Def players started going with less lossy audio.

If it's NOT going to be used for that, it won't matter.
    Just something to look into if you are interested.

The Toshiba HD DVD players convert DD+ to DTS over optical

Probably not going to be an issue with that AVR, from what I've read so far.

Yea, I've only heard about issues with the new audio formats and optical inputs. The HDMI inputs from my HD-DVD should have plenty of bandwith. The Sony has gotten rave reviews.