Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A/V reciever for CMT340 SE's - best one...

Default A/V reciever for CMT340 SE's - best one...

Anyone out there that has tested a variety of a/v receivers with the CMT340 SE's to find the best sound? I know the sound is subjective and personal, but which one's would you say make them more bright sounding and/or warm, etc. I see they offer HK at AA store but there are many others out there. I personally have a DENON 1905, anyone with this experience that can comment if this would be a good match? I am hoping to make up my mind here in the next week if at all possible (with help from Leon55 and another few that are auditioning at my home with the VTF-2 MK 3).

Default i hear ya

I've been going through the same dilemma for awhile. I wound up ordering a pioneer vsx-1016 txv. It has good power, good sound and a great automated setup system. It does lack the latest hdmi switching although it does have hdmi passthrough. I dont know how important that is to you. I just wanted sound and quality at a decent price. I wound up getting the receiver for 369 plus shipping from onecall.com (they were awesome) The amp set inside this receiver is the same direct energy youll find in the pioneer elite recievers. This is a suprising receiver, it really has nothing to do with the vsx-816 and vsx-516 receivers youll find in major retail stores. It weighs around 35 lbs and is extremely well made. Im ordering my ascends tonight and hopefully in about a week ill be able to review the whole deal. good luck
    -Greg-

Tried the following with 340 classics:

-Pio vsx912k (cheaper model): fatiguing/bright even to my wife; bare bones features but plenty of power
    -HK 1005 (digital): much nicer more pleasant sound than the Pio; powerful but few features
    -Denon 985 (same as 2805?): powerful, but the HK sounded better (less "in your face")
    -HK 435: great sound overall with 340s; definitely seems more powerful than spec'd
    -Pio 74txvi (the one I kept): was a toss-up with the 435; actually preferred the sound of the 435, esp with music, but liked the features of the Pio better (mainly had hdmi inputs/outputs)

Has anyone upgraded from an entry level receiver to one suggested in this thread? I'm currently using a Yamaha HTR-5740 with a **** setup. I just ordered the Ascend 340s with 170s rear and wonder if I'd notice a difference with a different receiver. The added features would be nice but arent a must for me. I was thinking of upgrading to the Yamaha RX-V1700. Here is my current setup.

Samsung HL-S6187W
    Yamaha HTR-5740 receiver
    Cox HD service
    Toshiba HD-A1
    Xbox 360
    and soon the Ascend 340 SE's up front with 170's rear w/ HSU VTF-2 MK3

I ordered the Yamaha 1700 to run my 340SE's and 170SE's (two pair).

To be honest, you aren't exactly going to get the answer your looking for. The best answer I could get is "Figure out how much you want to spend, and buy one of those receivers." All receivers have different sounds and no one could really tell you what you would like.

When I bought mine, I just closed my eyes and threw a dart...

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm just looking for an answer to if I'll notice a difference in the audio by upgrading to a receiver in that price range. If the difference is mainly just features, then I can spend the $750 elsewhere in my home theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiluven
    I ordered the Yamaha 1700 to run my 340SE's and 170SE's (two pair).

To be honest, you aren't exactly going to get the answer your looking for. The best answer I could get is "Figure out how much you want to spend, and buy one of those receivers." All receivers have different sounds and no one could really tell you what you would like.

When I bought mine, I just closed my eyes and threw a dart...
    I don't know about throwing darts, but I agree. Some will say it's not ethical, but just get an AVR from a store with a good return policy & try it out for yourself. Really, there's no better way to test equipment than to have the remote in your hand and setup in your room.

Also, from my limited research, the newer AVRs seem to emphasize features (e.g. HDMI switching/connectivity; XM; etc) rather than improved SQ, but I really don't have much knowledge of the newer audio formats (e.g. Dolby True HD, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrsl
    If the difference is mainly just features, then I can spend the $750 elsewhere in my home theater.
    A most excellent decision.

David

In my ordeal, I compared a panasonic xr-57, a yamaha rx-v2500 and an hk 635. To my ears, the HK produced the most full, natural sound with the most pleasing top end that was not harsh. Yould probably find a used hk under $500.

Default Panasonic SA SR-57

Quote Originally Posted by badassfajita
    In my ordeal, I compared a panasonic xr-57, a yamaha rx-v2500 and an hk 635. To my ears, the HK produced the most full, natural sound with the most pleasing top end that was not harsh. Yould probably find a used hk under $500.
    May I ask your opinion of the Panasonic please? I have heard a lot about it and it is now available for about $300. Thanks.