Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CES

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    It was the first time I've heard the SVS sealed sub, SB12-Plus, and it changes the old saw, "SVS can't do musical subs" IMO.
    Thanks, Quinn. If Ascend takes on SVS, this will become a real possibility. I'm waiting till Ascend makes an announcement before I commit.

David

Considering SVS has entered the speaker market, why would Ascend choose to sell their subs when they will be competing in the speaker arena? Seems odd, but what the heck do I know!

An Ascend branded sub would certainly stir up the industry.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    Considering SVS has entered the speaker market, why would Ascend choose to sell their subs when they will be competing in the speaker arena? Seems odd, but what the heck do I know!

An Ascend branded sub would certainly stir up the industry.
    Dave's philosophy about subs and the state of the industry don't seem to be in agreement right now so I'm not optimistic about Ascend offering their own sub this year. Hope I'm wrong but I'm betting Ascend will partner with an ID sub manufacturer in the near term.

David

Well, Hsu entered the speaker market too, so I don't see much difference between going with Hsu or SVS in that regard. There really aren't any sub-only companies left.

While an Ascend sub would certainly get my interest, it wouldn't "stir up the industry". All of these ID companies are still small and little known in the general audio industry. They get occasional recognition in magazines, but to the average consumer their still 'some random company I've never heard of that got reviewed'.

The ID sub market is pretty competitive at the moment with new/upcoming models from SVS, Hsu, Onix/AV123 and ACI, so I expect Ascend would think really hard about product viability before bringing something to market.

Add TC Sounds to the sub companies. Now that TC Sounds is no longer doing SVS' subs for them they are jumping into the fray. http://www.tcsounds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=577
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-11-2007 at 06:21 PM.

Interesting. It looks like they are jumping into the speaker market at the same time too.

Did you see their price range? "covering price points from under $1k to 10x that"

Who knows, maybe it will be in partnership with Schifter to sell Onix/AV123 subs and get pretty cabs for Ascends at the same time??? Stranger things have happened.
    - EVH III

The best speaker(IMO) that I heard at CES...the TAD Reference One.

Dave...do you think you could make something to compete at, oh say, 1/60,000 the price?

-curtis

Did you mean 1/60 of the price?

I'd be ecstatic if Dave could come close at 1/30 of the price.

Curtis-You haven't reported on the cool stuff like the sooloos music server or the dumb stuff like those laser pointers you attach to the speakers so you can see where you are aiming the speakers.