Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: cryptic message on sub page?

Default what if

What if HSU did the 3.3 with dual ports and dual plugs with a three set toggle switch that was

music - music only
    16Hz or 18Hz - max extension
    25Hz - max output

That would be sweet. Worlds first three way variable tuning sub.....

I think you can run the Hsu VTF series overdamped in a sealed with all the ports plugged (they'll sell you an extra plug for that). But, I haven't heard any impressions on how good it sounds, and what the differences are. I'm interested in doing so though. They're so cheap you can buy an extra one to offset any SPL loss and run them both sealed

I wish Ilkka had taken a sealed set of measurements on the 3.2 over on HTshack
    Jon O.

Default maybe...

Maybe we can get the Dr. to do this or run a test or offer his opinion on the matter at the HSU site. Are you logged in over there as well? If so, what is your SN?

Look for the little blue picture of the plane and the name "JonnyOzero3" and you'll find me
    Jon O.

Default Oh, I see...

Yea, that would be a good idea. I know that many log on as another SN just to remain 'unknown.' You will find me the same there as well, just spelled "AudiblConoiseur" instead

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Guys,

We are currently evaluating a few different options regarding subwoofers. I can't mention what those options are, just yet, but I will say that we are excited about it

In the meantime -- if you need a subwoofer I strongly recommend evaluating products from SV Sound (SVS) and Hsu Research.
    Dave, any hints as to when we can expect an announcement? I'll be in the market for a sub soon, to compliment my CBM 170s, and am looking at Hsu and SVS. The lack of a subwoofer option from you seems like a glaring hole in the lineup.

If you are developing your own, you'd have to produce either something as good as SVS and Hsu, and cheaper, or better than them, but priced about the same. SVS in particular are heavy hitters performance-wise, with Hsu focused more on value and practicality (they are priced very reasonably in Canada). Does Ascend have something to bring to the table?

As a consumer of audio hardware, I'm ecstatic about all these high quality companies advancing the market rapidly with breakthrough products at bargain prices. Their competition with each other accelerates innovation.

Quote Originally Posted by stimuli
    Dave, any hints as to when we can expect an announcement? I'll be in the market for a sub soon, to compliment my CBM 170s, and am looking at Hsu and SVS. The lack of a subwoofer option from you seems like a glaring hole in the lineup.

If you are developing your own, you'd have to produce either something as good as SVS and Hsu, and cheaper, or better than them, but priced about the same. SVS in particular are heavy hitters performance-wise, with Hsu focused more on value and practicality (they are priced very reasonably in Canada). Does Ascend have something to bring to the table?

As a consumer of audio hardware, I'm ecstatic about all these high quality companies advancing the market rapidly with breakthrough products at bargain prices. Their competition with each other accelerates innovation.
    I can't find the post but someone e-mailing Hsu was told by Hsu that they decided to consolidate distribution by elimimating authorized dealers. If this is the case, which I expect it is because it doesn't make sense for Ascend to stop carrying the subs without something else lined up, Ascend got caught unprepared. I wouldn't expect an Ascend sub anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    If this is the case, which I expect it is because it doesn't make sense for Ascend to stop carrying the subs without something else lined up, Ascend got caught unprepared.
    Business isn't this simple. Lots more behind this that probably won't see the light of day. It's none of our business but it sure is our curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    I wouldn't expect an Ascend sub anytime soon.
    I agree but I do expect a partnership soon. Stay tuned.

David

Yeah, I don't see Ascend producing subs. SVS and Hsu sell speakers, but I don't know who is buying them. Axiom sells subs, but they don't appeal to me.

I like businesses that do one thing, and do it well.

AV123 / Rocket makes outstanding subs as well. As does ACI and many other companies. It's frustrating when people talk about subs and only mention the two companies, or only mention the one that starts with an S and ends with an S as if there are no other companies out there making good subs.

And you'd be surprised how many people are buying the SBS-01s from SVS... For that price I'd definitely go with AV123's x-series speakers over them, for both looks and sound quality.