Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: cryptic message on sub page?

Even if it's just to complete a 'Package".
    As stated above, people like a "Package" deal, and getting it from one Man. is easier.
    If dave is doing a Servo type sub, like Brian Dings Direct Servo (NOT the other types), I think it'd sell like hotcakes...

Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    Even if it's just to complete a 'Package".
    As stated above, people like a "Package" deal, and getting it from one Man. is easier.
    If dave is doing a Servo type sub, like Brian Dings Direct Servo (NOT the other types), I think it'd sell like hotcakes...

Brian's philosophy of; speed, definition, and articulation would be what I'd expect from an Ascend sub since that is what those M&K subs Dave worked on are known for.

Keep in mind Ascend's value philosophy and what the Brian's kits sell for. Add a cabinet and assembly labor to that price then go against Hsu, SVS, and AV123 for value and it gets tough. I'd think an Ascend sub, to be in line with their speakers, has to come in at $500 or less.
    Last edited by Quinn; 01-04-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    Brian's philosophy of; speed, definition, and articulation would be what I'd expect from an Ascend sub since that is what those M&K subs Dave worked on are known for.

Keep in mind Ascend's value philosophy and what the Brian's kits sell for. Add a cabinet and assembly labor to that price then go against Hsu, SVS, and AV123 for value and it gets tough. I'd think an Ascend sub, to be in line with their speakers, has to come in at $500 or less.
    It would depend on what the sub offered. SVS only has one sub you can get for $500. If we're comparing to SVS, I would say the price range of the PB12-NSD to SB12-Plus would be a good target, which is $600- $700. Then again, even SVS has subs that cost 2 grand.

I agree Quinn, probably not in the cards.

Thats what I want to build myself, I've come close to the "Submit" button a few times already, just haven't hit it!!

Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    Well I already remodeled the 1 1/2 baths in our house, but it was never near Xmas/at a time I was looking to upgrade my sub.....so I got her a plasma, and I would think I have some leverage at this time......
    You got HER a plasma. That's a cool Jedi mind trick. I'll have to remember that one for next time.

hehehe
    She hasn't even noticed that I have 2x 170's, and 1x 340 that have replaced the Boston Acoustics... I did that LAST month(2/3 finished basement, with my TV, computer, and Sound system, she doesn't come down here that often)!!

The Plasma goodwill has given me a window of opportunity, which I plan on turning into a new sub.....

"Think ahead, you do muzz"..........

Bahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Guys,

We are currently evaluating a few different options regarding subwoofers. I can't mention what those options are, just yet, but I will say that we are excited about it

In the meantime -- if you need a subwoofer I strongly recommend evaluating products from SV Sound (SVS) and Hsu Research.
    Very interesting, Dave. I am intrigued to say the least. If you make a sub I'm going to be very mad at you, because even thought it might take a while, I will have to buy one someday to try it out. You're going to cost me money!
    Jon O.

i too would be hopeful to see a sub like the rythmik servo sub somehow put together in an ascend branding. i agree that the speaker philosophies of dave and brian seem compatible, and that is why i'm really champing at the bit to build a rythmik direct servo (probably will happen in late summer/early fall).

i also agree with quinn it's unlikely given the price range, but without knowing more about both companies' business models, anything seems possible. I have no idea what it costs ascend to build a cabinet, but a basic cabinet to hold a 12" rythmik sub doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to produce. and now that brian has a number of different lines (12", 15" and the push-pull orientation) there could be a nice spread of products and prices.

anyway it will be interesting to see what's coming.

Any idea when we can expect to hear the exciting announcement? Will it be this quarter?

I just hope the announcement isn't that they'll be carrying SVS....

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=29188

Quote Originally Posted by Audioholics Forum
    Why We Fired SVS as an Advertiser
    Several things have gone on in the past few weeks that have caused us to think about what's important to us and how we want to treat the forum community. One thing that we have realized is that at some point, when people take advantage and do not heed implied requests and basic etiquette you have to make a decision.

SVS has been an advertiser at Audioholics for some time. We like their products and continute to believe they make some of the cheapest subs out there with a good "bang for the buck" factor. Regardless of not allowing them to advertise, this has nothing to do with them as a manuafacturer.

As a company, however, their marketing methods have gotten out of control - at least on our site. If you'll notice, there is likely not a single subwoofer thread on this forum that doesn't have people talking about SVS. There is a reason for this and it has to do with the marketing methods of SVS as a company. They freely admitted to us that forum participation of their staff and SVS owners is the driving force behind their marketing strategy. This is actually kind of intelligent - until it is abused.

It is being abused on our site - to the point that we were being told that attempting to keep review threads on topic for non-SVS products was basically unacceptable behavior on our part. We were being told how to behave on our own site.

We attempted to let it go and redirect threads as needed, but a recent discussion made it clear that this was unacceptable. We STILL were going to quietly let them go on their way until a recent post appeared on our forums regurgitating the exact conversation SVS had with Gene recently.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sjmarcy
    I just joined this forum, and read a few threads. I note the declaration: "Where audio and video equipment undergoes rigorous objective and subjective tests by our staff, ensuring that marketing slogans aren't the only guidelines for your home theater choices"....yet I see the President posting encoutgement for Axiom products, a site advertiser. Hmmm. And another post where a member was called a fanboy by an Audioholic staff member on a different matter?

What's up with the difference between this sort of thing and the Forum's written mission statement?
    Note the post count. This was written by someone who had a direct conversation with our contact at SVS. That pretty much did it for us.

As a result we have fired SVS as an advertiser and will enforce the following forum rules:

* We will not ban SVS threads about SVS products - they make some cool subs, so people are free to talk about them as they'd like - in their own threads.
    * All SVS employees have been banned from the website.
    * We will not allow SVS posts in non-SVS review threads. I'm sorry, but it has come down to this.
    * Any critiques of this policy should be done via PM, not on the forums. We took a long time to come to this conclusion and we were willing to lose a lot of monthly income over this in order to make sure we don't allow our forums to become a marketing tool for a single advertiser. We are not the first (or likely last) website to enforce similar rules.

Thanks for your understanding. We hate making stuff like this public, but it seemed we were given no choice in the matter.
    Jon O.