Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Atlanta have cmt-340 SE?

Default Anyone in Atlanta have cmt-340 SE?

I would really like to audition them right away so I can take advantage of the sale that is going on at this time. Anyone able to help me out? I can bring the new HSU VTF-2 MK 3 sub if you would like to hear it as well...

I have the 340's across front and the 140's as surrounds. I moved from the mall of Ga. back in June and now live in Commerce. It's about 45 miles away. I also have the stf-2 sub and would love to hear your sub, maybe we can work something out.

Default I was waiting to hear from you...

leon55 - thanks for responding! can you contact me via pm or what is the best way to reach you? i will call you today if you can get me your number via private msg (which I have not used before). thoughts?

Score!!!
    -curtis

Default Thanks Leon55 for your help

Looks like we have a showdown here in the next weeks with:

Ascend CMT 340 SE
    Axiom M22 v2
    Energy RC-10
    NHT Classic Three
    and possibly PSB 25

all coupled with the new HSU VTF-2 MK 3! We will let you know how things turned out when we are finished. Stay tuned and we hope to have the answers in the next 14-20 days! Thanks again for your help Leon55, couldn't have done this without you!

Sounds like fun, and I hope to see your results soon.

Have fun

m

when you guys have the results id like to know how much of an improvement the VTF-2 MK 3 is over the STF-2.

have fun guys

Default I would assume much better

It has been stated from Dr. Hsu (please don't quote me) that it is basically the same as the VTF-3 MK 2 but with a 250 watt amp, improved woofer and some copper 'something' inside (I know, not very technical) that is suppose to help its response, quicker recoil for tighter musical performance, etc. This being said, it also costs less, it does however have a larger footprint. I would say it is a strong improvement over the STF 2 and if you are considering either, as an owner of the VTF-2 MK 3... get thine VTF and thou shant be disgruntled!

I have had it for a few weeks and I can tell you from personal experience that it is a monster! I have it in a 4500cu.ft. room that is open to the halls and upstairs hall. I have it diled in at 9-10 o'clock on the volume of the sub, switch set to 25Hz and both ports open and it still moves good air even from 15ft away at the sitting position. It is stronger "feel" for movies when at nearfield but where I have it works well regardless so I might leave it there! Music sounds really good with it, nice and tight for 12" downthrow woofer - even with SW setting to -4Db on the DENON 1905. I can extend it to 18Hz with a switch and a closed port with port plug (easy process completed in 10 seconds) and it will actually move serious air and pick up 16Hz tones!!! Serious for quality depth organ music and deep bass movie scenes. BTW, the STF has only one output or you can choose the max extension mode that has to be set at the factory and costs $60 extra but then you lose the std maximum output. I'm telling you the VTF is the way to go!

Good luck and if you have a room my size or even 3000cu.ft. or less I can pretty much write in blood that you will be grinning from ear to ear and be very pleased with your purchase!

I do suggest that you consider the foot print (16" x 25" - to allow at least 5" clearance behind ports and 1" side clearance from wall) it is also 22" high on carpet with the plastic cones inserted, so it could be used as end table purposes - VERY solidly built @ 78lbs and anything put on the top would stay put at normal to loud volumes. Insane, headache inducing bass (yes, it can do this) levels will move an object on the top of sub but most won't continually listen at this level. I could go on but you get the picture...

Default I think we are a go for audible launch!

Ok everyone, it is official and scheduled... here is the lineup as of 1/11:

DENON 1905 pushing 80W/channel + SACD/DVD player + HSU VTF-2 MK 3 + RS SPL meter x 2

$548 - CMT 340 SE's
    $440 - Axiom M2v2's & M60's
    $1000 (5sp surround - 3 1500's & 2 1000's) Sapphire 1500's
    $800 & $2200 respectively - JM Lab 806V's bookshelf & 826V's floor standing
    $few hundred new?? - Technics SB K915's (current 17 yr old)
    $ - ?? - Boston's (don't know model)
    * looking to get the NHT Classic Three ($800) and Energy RC-10 ($550) if I can but not if I have to pay a 15% restocking fee - sorry fellas

I suspect a five hour shootout and a few Tylenol or Advil shooters will lead to some cheers and tears for some of us! I am hoping to see if we can all write something up here and and at Axiom and HSU when we are finished. I don't think it will be as elaborate as many others and I don't have that kind of time but we will provide our opinions - at least "I" will provide mine. Stay tuned...

Default The battle is over and the last man/speaker standing...

To make a very long story short since I don't yet have the write up (coming later this week), the CMT 340 SE's were the clear winner to my ears, although the Boston's and the Axiom's were certainly nice speakers and I would be pleased with any of them. Sidebar, the HSU didn't let down either! Funny to see/hear grown men (later 40's to later 50's - assuming) jumping from one spot to the other saying "You've gotta sit here to feel this!!"

More to come later in the week but I know that I will be VERY pleased with my decision to purchase a five or six set sytem later this morning consisting of 340 SE mains, 340 SE center, & three HTM 200 surrounds (due to size v/s placement constraint). I can't wait to set these fresh one's up, break them in and settle in to some quality time with my NEW girlfriends blowing sweet audible sensatios across my cochlea and into my auditory cortex! That didn't sound too dirty, did it?

More to come later but a BIG thanks to Leon55 for his help and his B-I-L for bringing his Boston's as well. I enjoyed having you over and hope you enjoyed the shootout! Thanks for coming to my place, that was very courteous and considerate as you were doing ME the favor. Thanks to Dan for brining his M22 v2's for the contest and offering his time and CD's as well. I really appreciate you guys!

Oh, thanks to Dave for his expertise, courtesy and professionalism during my decision making process. You are part of this sale and I am pleased that I will be getting you and your great crew with the purchase into the future!
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 01-16-2007 at 06:37 AM.