Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which Sub? or Ascend vs Klipsch

Default with you

I am with you johnnyk. If you like the forwardness, you will really like the 62's. They did sound good to me with the recording I heard in that room with those acoustics @ 6'! You wil most likley be happy with them and you will also apprecaite the bass extension of them from what I heard while there. I have a 4500cuft room so the bass is being produced by the sub. This being said, I am more interested in the freq above 50-60Hz and how that sounds to mine ears! If you don't have the 62's, I would suggest giving them a good listening session.

FWIW

I was a drummer for 13 years, including playing out myself, and I can tell you that the 170SE's do a VG job reproducing instruments.
    When I first got mine, I found myself actually listening closely, trying to figure out what type of Crash/drumhead was being used, and I never did that b4, probably because the speakers I've had/heard didn't do as good a job articulating.

Muzz, sounds good. The 170SE's are the ones I would go with. I think the 340's are a little pricey, considering that I also would need a sub and stands. They are practically small towers then. How do you like them? Are they bright at all? I'm looking for forward sounding, but not bright. Also, what kind of sub are you using?

Thumbs up

My sub really isn't even good enough TBO, I have a Boston Acoustics PV600, and while it does OK at lower levels, it can NOT keep up when cranked...
    Luckily for my pocket, I can't crank it too loud right now anyways(that OFTEN, I do crank it for hours on end when I get the chance heheh), due to poor soundproofing.

The NEXT thing I purchase, will most likely be Brian Dings- 12" Rythmic Direct Servo kit, which I will build a box for.

I think the 170SE's are a steal TBO, I really didn't have the scratch to buy 340SE L/C/R, so I got 170-L/R and a 340 SEC when I was buying, I figured I'd get 2 more 340SE's for the front(later), and move the 170's to SS duty, but I may just get another set of 170's instead.
    Thats what I think of them.

I've heard/see a few folks use the term "Forward", I don't think so at all, I use the term "Revealing" myself.
    My 170SE's replaced a set of Boston Acoustics- CR75's, and IMO there is NO comparison between these speakers, the Bostons are Harsh, especially at higher volumes, the CR75's are actually rated to go a bit lower, but IMO the 170's SOUND lower, probably because the notes are cleaner- more defined.
    IMO- The Bostons, at any volume over normal turned bright and harsh, the 170's are alot smoother throughout.
    To think, about 5 yrs ago, those CR75's cost me $300 at a B&M store!!
    Can you say....
    RIP OFF!!!

You can try them for 30 days, and just pay return shipping if ya don't like them, You'd probably spend that much on gas $ just driving to all the B&M's in your area, and have to listen to them at the STORE, which is obviously not ideal, although I believe you will most likely keep them.

How do they sound?
    Awesome