Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Sub? or Ascend vs Klipsch

Default lokiman

lokiman, AudibleConnoisseur here... what was it you were hoping to hear from me about? I hope I didn't miss anything

You didn't miss anything... you just might not have time to compare the RF-62's. You mentioned earlier in this thread that you might check out the Klipsch speakers.

Yes, please let us know if you get the chance, audibleconnoisseur. Magnolia has them. That should be the easiest place to find them.

Default I see

Ah, now I get it!! You are USING me...

Rookies! Maybe I will do a crappy review and say the K's are better than the A's so you won't buy the A's and get stuck with the K's - how about that!?

If I get the other testing done and also get the chance to either take mine into the store or buy a set and bring them home I will. I did promise my wonderful wife that I would be finished with the testing after this weekend and no more speakers, receivers, etc will be brought home. So if I can get to it in time, I will try. If not I will have to take mine to their place and hook them up to A/B them to know for sure. I will say that I got my AMEX bill for the "testing" that I have been doing and came to mind! I was hoping to have them back before that hit, but oh well... what's a few thousand dollars to know you are getting the best for your budget!?

Oh, I will get all that back when I return everything! So you know what I am going through for all of you and me, I have spent near $6K on the AMEX to test and return receivers and speakers to get what I think is the best for my ears! YES, they know what I am doing but still... don't do this if you don't have the coin to cover the cost for the month. I still have about 1/2 that outstanding and it will all go back this weekend unless I fall in love with the new D2807, HK645 or PE81 (which, btw, the PE81 is not a big improvement sound wise over my D1905 to my ears - maybe 5%-10% - so it will be going back). This cost above is why I am hesitant to do anything with the Klipsch. I will let you know later so I am really sorry if you were really waiting on me for this...

Default heard them...

lokiman, johnnyk,

What's up gents!? Ok, I just came from BB and the Magnolia room (sounds like a gentleman's club ) and auditioned the Klipsch 62's. I will say that the sound is different from what I know but they did sound nice. Now I have to provide a caveat to this statement b/c there was something I liked and something I didn't like that I can't put my finger on about the higer end and vocals. I was about to pull my hair out b/c they played the Eagles DVD - Hell Freezes over which I have heard, well, MORE THAN ONCE! I heard all kinds of things I did not hear with the Ascends or Technics, or Axiom, JMLabs, etc... then I realized and reasked what we were listening to: "You are you hearing the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD," he said! I then realized that the DVD and the CD are different and there was so much more that I liked about the DVD that I was not hearing in just the CD. Question is should I buy it? I might do that...

So anyway, my relief brought me back to reality and after I changed my boxers, I felt much better knowing that there was NO way these would outperform the Ascends or the others like I was hearing. So to make a long and potentially funny story short, I have to hear them both with the same CD or DVD. They did sound revealing but certainly a different kind of reveal than the 340SE's. I was not blown away by them but they do play loud an proud and I would certaintly say that if you are in the $800 budget, that you at least consider them (I speak without no more than 10 mintues of listening time) and without proper A/B testing proceedures! Now, to the 340's credit... the 62's are about 4x the size and volume of the Ascends. They have (I think) larger drivers and they also use a horn tweeter setup that projects the music out there with authority. They did image well and soundstage was nice but I was also only about 6' from them while seated so I might have been too close and hearing the L & R sounds from each spkr? I would love to bring them home to give them the 4500cuft space the 340's are claiming to test them but it would be too much for my wife, knowing they are floorstanding and with assmembly - not going to happen as I promised her no more!

I think with my first impression is that if you are a younger bass head that likes loud and big and more rap style bass, they 62's may be for you. If you have a sub, this may be pointless but there is a potential for the lower notes to be a bit fuller with the extra bass the 62's seem to provide. That is my only real observation at this time not being able to A/B the same material - it would not be fair! I may get that disk and rely on my audible memory, or try this again in the near future and let you know. They are $399ea I think so also given the $250 difference... the Ascends may clean up nicer over all???

audibleconnoisseur, thanks for making the effort. With regard to the price of these things, I have read that they can be discounted to $650. When you factor in the price of 340s with stands, I think they are pretty comparable. It seems as if you liked the sound of them. Did you rush right home and listen to your Ascends again? That usually does it for me. Then, you kind of have an idea if you just stepped down in sound quality or not. When I came home to my speakers, I realized that mine were not as good as what I just heard. Thanks again for the info.

Default careful

I didn't say that I stepped down in sound and no I didn't rush home to listen. I am still at work so I will have to try later. I do need to hear them again with the SAME dvd or cd and go from there. I DID say that they would be worth a list if you are in the range - cost wise. I still don't know that they are better/worse without further testing - better word would be different. Again, they are 4x the size of the 340's so you have to take that into account when comparing! Sheer volume and size does account for something with sound. If you need/want/have to have bookshelf... I still say I have heard very few that are better than the Ascends

nobody accused you of stating that you stepped down in sound. I was only stating how I verify if my speakers sound better or not. Side by side comparisons are not always neccesary. I auditioned a pair of 600 serious B&W, and it only took a few seconds to realize that they were a poor speaker compared to what I am used to. Judging from what you said, am I correct in interpreting that the RF-62s are at least some competition for the Ascends that you own?

Default appreciate the clarification

It would be a safe assumption that this statement is accurate! I do want to point out again that the size and volume of the 62's are much greater than the 340's so I would expect to hear more full sound from them in some areas. I will say that the horn is a different animal and I am not sure if I like them or not. I am interested enough to give it another go though! Maybe I can get back out there with another disk that I know and own and give it another spin. The only other thing I need to note is that There were using a MUCH newer cd player (mine is 10+ yrs) and also the newest Denon 1907, mine is the Denon 1905. Lastly, the dvd they used I have never heard before (thought it was Hell Freezes Over "CD"). I really like that DVD version though - I highly recommend it if you are an Eagles fan or appreciate good quality live recording!!!

I understand the size and volume comparison, but for me, it is not an issue. I would have to put the ascends on stands, so the difference in floor space will not be an issue. The 170s, on the other hand, could fit on shelves or tables, so that is a consideration. I actually like the "in your face" an forward sound on horns. Being a musician who plays live, I can assure you that very few speakers can create the sound and feel of something like a drumkit with crashing cymbals right in front of you or even a guitar amplifier. Many people prefer a more "laid back" sound. Of course I am not implying that the ascends sound any way, I have no idea because I've never heard them.