Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Sub? or Ascend vs Klipsch

I don't know guys... I finally have them both here and have been switching back and forth all day.

I'm not an audiophile or anything, so I don't know all the terminology, but to my ears the Klipsch's definitely sound better for music. Much fuller, much more surrounding.

Unfortunately, the Klipsch package I bought has a weaker center channel, so the Ascends sound better for movies, etc. I don't have to keep turning up the volume to hear what the actors are saying.

I suppose I could replace the Klipsch center speaker with something bigger, but I'm just about at my limit as to how much I wanted to spend.

With all the great pub the Ascends were getting, I was willing to just be part of the herd. It took quite a bit of convincing to finally decide the Klipschs really did sound better.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by lokimon; 01-20-2007 at 12:04 PM.

I have the VTF-3 MK2. Amazing subwoofer.

But their new VTF-2 MK3 is virtually the same subwoofer, except with a 250w amp rather than a 350w amp. And rather than $700, or the $620~ price it goes for now, the VTF-2 MK3 is $469~.

Amazing price.

Default try this

Have you gotten an SPL, measured and set them to the same volume level and made sure you worked within the spkr distance x .73 = distance to the LP? also, have you given the ascends some time to break in yet? you seem to be one of the few that like them over the ascends (please, no offense!). maybe you might be one that likes the horn sound over the ascend build stye. you might also want to look into the hb-1 horn + mbm bass module from hsu if the sound of klipsh is to your liking. i would be hard pressed to believe that the klipsh or hsu play cleaner, flatter and with more passion than the ascends but i have not heard them. which models exactly were they? i will do my own test in a week or two if i have time. let us know what you think after the breakin and really sit and listen for background things such as words and musical instruments in both.
    Last edited by audibleconnoisseur; 01-22-2007 at 12:30 PM.

The way klipsch sound these days..I think it is a matter of personal taste for Lokimon. I have a brother in law who loves to play his system loud withlots of bass...I on the other look for clarity and great highs and midrange..hence i do not like klipschs and polks...i lean toward ascends (obviously ) and b and w's. My brother in law loves polks and klipschs ...I think that is what is happening here, Lokimon prefers the klipsch sound...I have heard the newer Klipch speakers and it it is not until yopu get to the very expensive klipsch models (which are hard to find) where the sound changes and comes closer to my liking.

Try listening to loud music for and hour on both and see which speaker fatigues your ears first..it might interest you.

To each his own

I wish I had more time.. I keep reading how these speakers should blow away these Klipsch RF-62's, but I'm not hearing it. If only they weren't back ordered when I ordered. Tomorrow is my last day to make a decision.

There's got to be something wrong with my ears. The Klipschs sound more surrounding, like more of a movie theater sound. I don't know... sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by lokimon
    There's got to be something wrong with my ears.
    There's nothing wrong with your ears. You perfer a particular sound. Enjoy what works for you.

David

My problem is I suspect that the Ascends are better constructed, using better components, for the price point. Which makes me want to like the Ascends better.

But I'm not the only one that seems to think the Ascends sound smaller. I've seen posts like the one below before. Would this have anything to do with the Klipschs being put into a bigger cabinet? Just trying to make sense of it all.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...nd#post8818975

I know it's a matter of trade offs, and maybe my ears are making the wrong trade offs.

You sound like your in panic mode. Like David stated let YOUR ears decide. I love my Ascends because they are detailed and natural sounding. I didn't see where you ever picked up a sub? I can't imagine HT without a sub and the way Ascends blend with a sub my help with the fullness you fill you are missing. Your only negative about Klipsch was dialog, did you go back to where you bought the Klipsch and see if you could uprade the center and maybe extend your trial time?
    All I can say is BUY WHAT YOU LIKE.
    Jeff

Yeah.. you are right.. just go with what sounds better to me, i guess.

I did end up with the HSU VTF3 MK2... I'm keeping that.

Pardon me if I missed it - but did you make sure to level match the speakers with an SPL meter, as well as try modifying the location a little, and/or toe-in. The Ascends are happy just about anywhere, but it's surprising the amount of difference some tweaking can do. Also - regarding the SPL meter, if you don't have one, try turning up the Ascends some more, or the Klipsch's down. Finally - how did you a/b them? did you swap their locations? or just cables?
    Jon O.