Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Sub? or Ascend vs Klipsch

Default Which Sub? or Ascend vs Klipsch

Last week I went into a Ultimate Electronics store and ended up picking up a new receiver and a Klipsch (RF-62) package speaker set. I don't normally just buy something like this out of the blue, but they had a really good deal on the new Sony DA5200es receiver.

I'm thinking about auditioning a set of Ascends to compare against the Klipsch's. The final cost will be a little bit more for the Ascends.

Looking at getting.
    340SEs for the front.
    170Se for the sides.

But I'm not sure about the sub. Is there somewhere on the site that helps in deciding which sub to buy? I was looking at the STF-3, since then the price would be about the same as the Klipschs, or should I just go ahead and spend the $100 to upgrade to the VTF-3 MK2? The setup would be used 75% Theater and 25% Music if that helps.

Also, does anyone think auditioning the Ascends would not be worth it? Has anyone done something similar in the past and come away with the Ascends sounding a lot better?

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by lokimon
    Also, does anyone think auditioning the Ascends would not be worth it? Has anyone done something similar in the past and come away with the Ascends sounding a lot better?Thanks for the advice!
    There is a very decernable difference between Klipsch and Ascends. I doubt you'll find anyone on this Forum that would perfer Klipsch. Klipsch have their own devotees. Many, many years ago, I'd have given anything for a pair of Cornwalls or LaScalas. But times have changed and speakers are so much better today that, for the money, Klipsch are no longer on my radar. I'd recommend you order a pair of 340SE's and give em about 48 hours to compare to the Klipsch's. No need for break-in. The winner will be obvious to you. Let us know how it turns out, regardless of the outcome.

David

I recommend looking at the HSU site (www.hsuresearch.com) and see what the new subs have to offer. I don't believe Ascend has updated their offerings of the HSU subs yet.

I have the VTF3-MKII that I'm extremely happy with. A friend of mine just ordered the VTF1 (new model) and I'll let you know what I think when I can hear it (next week sometime).

Default New Sub

I received the new HSU VTF MK3 last week to go with my 170SEs. It really is very clear and much more than I expected. It can provided that deeper base that the Ascends need for music, or, if turned up, can shake the room (and the neighbors), for home theatre. If your room is less than 3200 sf, I highly recommend it! The HSU folks, like the Ascend staff, are helpful and knowledgable-call them.

Default Correction

Quote Originally Posted by kirkup
    I received the new HSU VTF MK3 last week to go with my 170SEs. It really is very clear and much more than I expected. It can provided that deeper base that the Ascends need for music, or, if turned up, can shake the room (and the neighbors), for home theatre. If your room is less than 3200 sf, I highly recommend it! The HSU folks, like the Ascend staff, are helpful and knowledgable-call them.
    Sorry, make that 3200 cubic feet.

I auditioned the Klipsch synergy III series F3's for he mains and the synergy III center before I purchased my 340se's. I know that the RF's are a slightly better model than the synergy series but I got the point. for me the klipsch were extremely bright. way to bright for my taste. I really couldn't even get through an entire movie or cd without my ears hurting. I am extremely happy with my purcase of the ascends and I saved a few bucks.

lokimon - as others have said, klipsch and ascend sound quite different. A friend of mine has a pair of RF-7's so i get to hear them alot. They are quite fun on rock and such, but can get fatiguing to my ear. Personally, I prefer the neutralness of the Ascends, but that is purely personal preference. For what it's worth my friend recommends Ascends (bc he hears mine all the time) quite often to people who ask him for <$1k speaker options. He's considered picking up 340s and is hoping ascend makes something bigger and pricier to suite his tastes

anyhow, long story short - you won't know which you like until you try them. make sure if you do a/b them....listen to each alone for a few days to a week, then switch. that might help your ear get used to each so you can make your decision.

good luck!

also - where do you live? there might be an ascend owner nearby who would demo for you....
    Jon O.

I found out the Ascends are on back order for a few weeks.

Since I only have 30 days with the Klipsch's, I'm not sure what to do. I'd hate to bring these back and then find out I prefer these to the Ascends.

Oh well... such is life.

Backorder?
    Dave and Co. must have done quite well this Xmas season!!

I moved my approx. 10 yr old Klipsch main speakers to my corner surrounds, and you can especially tell when listening to hi-rez multi-channel music that the Klipsch's are much brighter... and for me, to the point of being very shrill compared to the smoother 340 SE's up front. Even a friend noticed it the other night when listening to surround music: "wow, those rear speakers sure are piercing sounding compared to the front ones!" Yep, very true, and hence why I've replaced them as main speakers and relegated them to rear corner surrounds... but I'm saving up to replace them with two more 340 SE's so I have five 340 SE's for surround music.
    -- Tom --
    My HT