Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrade from 170 to 340s se?

Default upgrade from 170 to 340s se?

I have had the 170s for 2 yrs now mainly for 2 channel music connected to a nad c320 bee and a jolida jd100 cdp. I usually listen to alot of jazz vocals and sometimes pop music.I am quite contented on them but I know I am still missing out on better sound . I do not have a plan to get a sub in the near future if I dont have to, but I am thinking of upgrading to the 340s.
    Will there be a big difference in sound quality from the 170(not se) to the 340se? Is it worth spending the extra $.(If only the 340s come in "prettier" finish, it would have been a no brainer)

Since you do not plan on using a sub, the added bass extension in both SE models is definitely a nice upgrade, and the other areas of improvement vary by ear.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but only you can really judge the value add of those improvements.
    -curtis

you could always order, listen and then ship back if it's not much of an upgrade. i'm sure many here would be interested in hearing your comparison of the differences between the two speakers. (or at least i would ) the experiment wouldn't be too costly if you decided to return them.

The thinner tall form of the 340 makes for a much different look than the box/near cube of the 170.

I wonder if such comparison bet. 170's and 340se have been written here or any other forum before?

I wonder if anyone has tested the differences between the 170SE and 340SE in terms of 2-channel small room performance (possibly near-field).

I had the 170s & 340s and upgraded both to the SE models. (Actually, I ended up keeping the 340s for the basement.) Yes, and my wife is getting the kitchen redone, so we're almost even!

To answer your question: yes, the 340SEs are worth it. Not only the extra bass extension but they are clearer and fuller--just sound better. If you had the 170SEs, I would not have said that. The 170SEs are pretty close to the original 340s; I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test.

Pegleg

Quote Originally Posted by pegleg
    I had the 170s & 340s and upgraded both to the SE models. (Actually, I ended up keeping the 340s for the basement.) Yes, and my wife is getting the kitchen redone, so we're almost even!

To answer your question: yes, the 340SEs are worth it. Not only the extra bass extension but they are clearer and fuller--just sound better. If you had the 170SEs, I would not have said that. The 170SEs are pretty close to the original 340s; I'm not sure I could tell them apart in a blind test.Pegleg
    Pegleg, can you describe your listening area?

Thanks,
    David

Default focal chorus 716s

Got to audition jm focal chorus 716s at home today. They definitely sound inferior compared to the 170s I am trying to replace. They were out of the box and were never broken in. Will try to break them in for a week and if they dont improve they will find their way out! It just amazes me how the 170s can compete with speakers 3-4x their price.If only they can be made more "prettier", (just sighing out loud).

Default i tried them

I tried the 806V and the 826V and they were bested by the 340SE's! The 826V was fuller b/c of size and drivers, but sound wise, 340's still won for clarity and reproduction. Amaizing isn't it? I too wish they could make them a little "prettier" but then again the cost would jump up even more!