Thread: 170s with "questionable" source material

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

One of the nice things about the speakers are their dispursion characteristics, you do not have to be in the sweet spot to enjoy them. As much as I like to sit down and listen to some good music, I do not have a lot of time to do that.

The midrange on the 170 is great. I think it is some of the best I have heard in a speaker of its size. As for bad recordings, it will not make them sound better, or less enjoyable.

-curtis

Curtis,

Thanks for the reply. I'm relieved to hear about the dispersion. While I don't expect the 170s to make bad recordings sound better, but I was just worrying about them exposing the flaws.

I think I'm not gonna worry about it, though, and just go with my instinct and order em...

The CBM-170 isn't as revealing of flaws than other speakers I have heard. For example, the Onix Ref1/2 was too revealing for me. It sounds great with great recordings, but bad ones sounded awful. I've been quite happy with the CBM-170s. As Curtis said, it can't make things sound better, but it isn't brutally revealing like some I've heard.