Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any B&K or Emotiva users out there?

Default Any B&K or Emotiva users out there?

I have the 340SE's for RCL, and 170's in the rear, with the Hsu STF3 for a 5.1 solution.
    I'm powering them with the Panny XR-55 and it sounds excellent for home theater.
    I've been listening to a lot of hi res 5.1 music (SACD and DVD-A) music and the Panny is just too bright,
    especially at high volumes.
    I've tried a couple of different universal players and also run some KEF RDM3 Monitor speakers,
    so I'm pretty sure it's the Panny.
    So now I'm thinking of getting and Emotiva pre-pro:
    http://www.emotivaaudio.com/lmc1.html
    and either an Emotiva or a used B&K multi-channel amp or a B&K receiver.
    Anyone run any of the above with their Ascends?

Have you considered the listening area as a source of the brightness? I don't find the 55 bright even at high volume but I'm sure my listening area is partly responsible for that.

David

So would more reflective surfaces in a listening room like a hard floor contribute to the perception of brightness? And then conversely would surfaces like carpeting contribute to the opposite?

If not, what could be done to a room to reduce the perception of brightness when using Ascends and the XR55 (I have both I will be trying out for the first time today). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1Time
    So would more reflective surfaces in a listening room like a hard floor contribute to the perception of brightness? And then conversely would surfaces like carpeting contribute to the opposite?
    If not, what could be done to a room to reduce the perception of brightness when using Ascends and the XR55 (I have both I will be trying out for the first time today). Thanks
    Try it first. Don't fix what ain't broke. If you have issues, report back. We'll work on it. There's a corelation between expecting problems and having problems. So the first order of business is to relax. When I got my 340SE's, there were too many things going on for me to sit down and just relax and enjoy the speakers. I held off making any comments or judgements until I could give the 340's a proper audition. Made all the difference in the world.

David

Good advise. I plan on breaking in my 170SE's for a while before making changes anyway. I mostly was asking to learn for future reference. I'm impressed with how knowledgeable and responsive you and others are here. Thanks

After breaking in my Ascends for a while, I will be comparing them to my AR.com DIY bookshelf speakers with my two receivers, my new Pany XR55 and my H/K AVR630. I really don't know which combo I will like best for my set-up and needs, but I'm kind of hoping it will be the Ascends and XR55. Should be interesting.
    Last edited by 1Time; 12-02-2006 at 07:35 AM.

One thing to reduce perceived brightness would be to treat the first reflection points with acoustic panels. You can DIY them, or check out GIK Acoustics (what I use), RealTraps, etc.

Basically this absorbs the side-wall reflections so sound isn't bouncing back off the wall and smearing the sound. You'd be surprised at the difference.

That being said, I have seen a lot of people say they turn the treble way down on their Panasonic receivers.

Yeah, I failed to mention the room has 3 walls of brick. But the 4th wall, that the front speakers are facing is wood panel. A few places I've read on the net say, brick is more of a problem for the lower end, not the upper.
    Regardless, the wifey says no to any room treatments.
    So that's why I'm gearing for a more "neutral" receiver or seperates.
    (that, and the typical upgradeitis)
    And I do have the Panny's trebel all the way down already.
    That's why I asked if anyone was running B&K or Emotiva with their Ascends.

Thanks

I got a feeling that with any receiver, pre/pro-amp, you will have a reflection/room problem causing issues with the treble.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I got a feeling that with any receiver, pre/pro-amp, you will have a reflection/room problem causing issues with the treble.
    For music, I might have to get a new room

Quote Originally Posted by locomo
    For music, I might have to get a new room
    Or just do room treatment.
    -curtis