Thread: Ceiling mount HTM-200's horizontally?

Default Ceiling mount HTM-200's horizontally?

Hi all, I'm Pat, and this is my first post!

I'm finishing my basement and the only way to moung the surrounds is from the ceiling. Since the ceiling is only ~7.5 ft, mounting the 200's vertically would make them head knockers. I searched and found that mounting them harizontally is perfectly fine, but since the mounting holes are on on end of the speakers, what's the best way to mount them (and the best mounts to mount them with). Would I have to new mounting holes in the speakers?

Thanks!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by mccullpl
    Hi all, I'm Pat, and this is my first post!

I'm finishing my basement and the only way to moung the surrounds is from the ceiling. Since the ceiling is only ~7.5 ft, mounting the 200's vertically would make them head knockers. I searched and found that mounting them harizontally is perfectly fine, but since the mounting holes are on on end of the speakers, what's the best way to mount them (and the best mounts to mount them with). Would I have to new mounting holes in the speakers?

Thanks!
    Pat
    Hi Pat....welcome to the forum.

I don't think you would need to drill new holes in the speakers...and I would definitely advise against that.

I would think there are mounts that would let you turn the speakers 90 degrees.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis. My concern was that since the mounting holes would be at one end, it would be applying a fair bit of torque to the mount. Maybe I'll just have to find out for myself!

Thanks,
    Pat

I think you would be OK. The 200's are not overly large or heavy.
    -curtis

You're probably right. By the way, do you know if the 200's have a specific 'right' and 'left'? or is a pair 2 identical speakers? I ask because of the tweeter being offset to one side.

Thanks
    Last edited by mccullpl; 12-14-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mccullpl
    You're probably right. By the way, do you know if the 200's have a specific 'right' and 'left'? or is a pair 2 identical speakers? I ask because of the tweeter being offset to one side.

Thanks
    I do not believe it matters
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1