Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: UPS Strikes again...with Stealth!

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    Ha its about 0 degrees farenheit here. Yesterday I had to take out the winter coat.

I'm freezing my butt!

[edit] Liking new SE's less than original version. Maybe breakin is the problem?
    Are you running any sort of auto-eq that could be acting weird? Did you check them carefully for damage after transit?
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt
    [edit] Liking new SE's less than original version. Maybe breakin is the problem?
    I thought you just had SE's.....when did you get the originals?
    -curtis

Oh no sorry I was replying to an earlier comment about someone prefering the originals to the new 170SE! sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_Burrito
    I got my replacement speaker yesterday and everything seems to be OK. Is it wrong that I was glad to see the box a little beat up?

I have not done too much listening, but so far I actually like the classics a little bit better then the se (although they both sound rather similar)....does that make me crazy? I just plopped them into the position where the classics were though and just did a quick volume match....it may be I just need to play around with placement and calibration a litttle more.
    I was just saying breakin might have been the difference as the new SE were not broken in yet. So maybe after the breakin it would somewhat change his opinion of the SE vs classics.

The only Ascends I have heard are the 340SE They are working absolutely great, sold off the Totem Sttafs not so long ago as they really were not getting any use.
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 12-08-2006 at 04:35 PM.

There is no auto equalizer problems and I am not a big believer in break in (beyond that which occurs in the users mind at least). Anyways I have listened a little more and played around with the position of the speakers a little. I think what is bothering me is the SE seem a little brighter to me. It may be I am getting some room interactions with the different tweeter that I was not seeing in the classics. Doesn't really seem to be any huge difference in the bass (I know the SE go a little deeper, but I can't tell the difference with a 80 Hz crossover to my sub). The midrange actually seems a little cleaner in the SE. Anyways I should emphasize all these differences are rather small and may go away or in the SE favor as I continue to tweak both my receiver setting and my placement. I am actually really happy I am getting a chance to do the comparison and will be keeping the SE.

Are you listening with the grills on or off? I removed the grills off my 340's SE and noticed an increase in brightness. So maybe the grill tames off the highs a little bit... Or, maybe its just my imagination...

Have you ever had your hearing checked?

The SE has a broader frequency range than the classics and maybe you are hearing or percieving that extended response.

I agree, the mids are a bit cleaner.
    -curtis

We are so terrible Someone says they don't think they care for the speakers and curtis and I suggest that either his hearing or the speakers are broken, hahaha

Just re-reading, it's kind of funny.
    Jon O.

yeah...it is bad, but after meeting a couple guys that can hear the extended frequency response, I really wonder what they hear.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Have you ever had your hearing checked?

The SE has a broader frequency range than the classics and maybe you are hearing or percieving that extended response.
    HMMM this is an actual interesting suggestion. While I have never had my hearing checked (at least not since i was a kid) there has been a couple instances where I have heard annoying high pitched sounds (Mainly from electronics) that others have not heard. I am almost curious to get a check now...what is the Normal hearing range for a mid-twenties individual?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge_Burrito
    HMMM this is an actual interesting suggestion. While I have never had my hearing checked (at least not since i was a kid) there has been a couple instances where I have heard annoying high pitched sounds (Mainly from electronics) that others have not heard. I am almost curious to get a check now...what is the Normal hearing range for a mid-twenties individual?
    Some good info here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_(sense)

I have read that on average, starting at 20hz, subtract about 1khz every 10 years.
    -curtis