Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: UPS Strikes again...with Stealth!

Default Add me to the list...

Guys,
    I received my speakers today. One of them was pretty badly smashed. What puzzles me is the boxes were in good condition. When I opened them and got the speakers out, I found one of them had something rattling inside the cabinet.
    My guess is the speakers were pressed against each other very hard during the transit. The other speaker does not show any sign of damage though. I haven't yet hooked it up.

Dave,
    I think some addition foam separation between the speakers might help.

Abhi
    Last edited by Abhi; 12-04-2006 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    This is exactly how my new CBM-170SE looks.
    Last edited by Abhi; 12-05-2006 at 12:38 AM.

It appears that due to the extreme handling condititions that the woofers could use some additional dampening during transit. Those UPS folks must be dropping these speakers HARD and the drivers just can't take the punishment. Hard part is to find some additional cushioning that won't scuff the drivers. Good luck Davef.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Just for my own curiosity, I went out back and dropped a set of loudspeakers (fully packaged) from various heights.

Same damage here to one of my b-stock 170s delivered on Fri. My giddiness upon getting a box from "Ascend Acoustics" just in time for the weekend turned to horror as I removed a speaker grille and saw the carnage ...

Box was in good shape. Sent a full set of pictures to Dave F.
    Last edited by AscendsIn808; 12-04-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Hi Guys,

This is a true nightmare of a problem and I am completely dumbfounded. The CBM-170 has used the exact same packaging material for 7 years. We are talking 7 years worth of shipping CBM-170 (this is a LOT of speakers)
    Absolutely nothing on our end has changed. 1 even 2 weeks ago, deliveries were fine.

We once ran into a problem where UPS had a new hire at the depot and for a few days, damage reports were higher than normal and after he was let go, no more damage. I suspect something like this is happening again.

The only thing I can rationally conclude is that these are being dropped onto load/unload conveyers from serious heights, many times during transit.

I have initiated a thorough UPS investigation and until I figure out what is going on, we are going to hold shipments.

This is absolutely NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ME!

If you are reading this thread and have received damaged product, or even suspect your product is damaged without even opening up the packaging, please contact me privately at davef@ascendacoustics.com

Of course, we will take good care of you.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Add me to one of those that had a detached woofer. Seems odd...any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing? Just a thought..although I am sure it is UPS fault....I could see them having competitions on who can throw ascend speakers boxes in the air the highest. Anyways, props to Dave for seemingly being dissapointed as I was about the damage and for taking care of the issue quickly.
    Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 12-05-2006 at 12:12 AM.

Hi Jorge,

So sorry to hear of another report. Please send me an email (if you haven't done so already)

>any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing?

Anything is possible at this point but the woofers we are using are from the same production batch we have been using for the past 2 months. However, a complete investigation is in order even if I have to destroy 2 dozen cabinets in the process.

I should say that the damage reports are still quite low considering just how many loudspeakers have been delivered in the past few days.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi Jorge,

>any chance that maybe a bad batch of drivers in terms of mechanical strength of the bracing?

Anything is possible at this point but the woofers we are using are from the same production batch we have been using for the past 2 months. However, a complete investigation is in order even if I have to destroy 2 dozen cabinets in the process.

I should say that the damage reports are still quite low considering just how many loudspeakers have been delivered in the past few days.
    I figured as much but thought I would throw it out there as a possibility. The only real reason I mentioned it is as others have indicated, the box itself was in remarkable condition considering what I usually get from UPS. If it is just an issue of a box being dropped and landing level, the box itself probably would not be damaged much though. Regardless good luck with hunting down the issue.

In terms of contacting you...you have already helped me out with getting a replacement on the way proving once again how great the customer service is at Ascend. Anyone who likes the Ascend sound should not hesitate to order.
    Last edited by Jorge_Burrito; 12-05-2006 at 01:14 AM.

Thats some serious damage. Almost like they knew what they were doing.

Muzz waits patiently for his speakers to arrive, prays they were not manhandled from >4'
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

I received my Ascend's yesterday as well. Though UPS did give me a scare by delivering only 2 of 3 boxes at first, they dropped the third box on my front step sometime yesterday evening. Unfortunatly I was having a pretty rough day dealing with Comcast (evil, evil beings) and a lack of cable and internet while I was trying to work from home, as well as Verizon having added some weird miscellaneous county fees to our bill, from a county we don't live in. So with all the other hassles yesterday I didn't get the chance to test the speakers or give them more than a external visual inspection.

Anyway, the Ascend's seem to be in perfect condition. The boxes were a litlte banged up, with a couple of decent gouges in the boxes. No markings or scratches on the exterior of the speakers. I paid extra attention to where the gouges in the boxes had been. After reading this post today though, I am now nervous that I am going to get home, take off the grill covers, and find horrible things.

When I get home tonight I am going to give the speakers a very thorough inspection, and hopefully some wonderful listening as well. I'll report back then, hopefully with a good positive delivery experience to offset the negative karma that UPS is generating.

I must say though that I have been more than impressed with Ascend's service so far.