Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 170SE Impressions with my H/K AVR630 and Pany XR55

I was already starting to get away from TV a bit B4 I ordered the 170s, now that I have them I am listening to more music than I have in years.

I had to force myself to watch U571 and Phantom Menace yesterday, just so I could give the 340 some excercise!
    Didn't watch the entire movies though...that Pod race has some amazing sound.

My SO was out for about 6 hrs, so I was able to crank it up a bit!!
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

Talking

I've got my 170SE's paired with a lowly but capable $86 Sony sub and my H/K AVR630 (FM radio mind you) and MAN THESE SOUND GOOD! No time for TV or DVDs now... LOL I even have to force myself to put my headphones on late at night.

Could the problem with the sound that poeple have with this receiver be because the treble control is not correct.

My thought is that there treble control could be initialized incorrectly such that 0 in treble is not flat but infact boosted. That is what mine sounds like, it sounds amazing at -10 treble.

I wish someone who has the ability to test this would make some sort of test.

My other thought is could there be something wrong with the power it's getting.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorror
    Could the problem with the sound that poeple have with this receiver be because the treble control is not correct.
    My thought is that there treble control could be initialized incorrectly such that 0 in treble is not flat but infact boosted. That is what mine sounds like, it sounds amazing at -10 treble.
    Maybe you got a defective unit. There's no way -10 is going to sound "amazing." Well, not amazing good anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorror
    My other thought is could there be something wrong with the power it's getting.
    No. At least not to cause this problem.

David

Default More impressions...

Once my Ascends broke in a bit, and to a relatively much lessor extent the XR55, I had no issue with the highs with this combo (except some slight sibilance with lessor sources) and that's with the treble set at -3 or -4. However, with some sources the XR55 sounded best with the treble set at -1 or even 0.

As compared to my H/K AVR630, the XR55 seemed more revealing throughout all frequencies when used with the 170SE's, which I found desirable and for a while had me leaning toward the XR55. However, later I determined the negatives of XR55 for my use out-weighed its positives as compared to my H/K.

The XR55's negatives for me were: 1) it was too electronic and sterile sounding, to the extent it was very fatiguing to listen to with my Ascends, not at all musical and not as enjoyable to listen to as with my H/K, and 2) the XR55 does not have some of the features my H/K has that I prefer, and 3) it did not sound as good (musical or natural) with my headphones as they did with my H/K.

Of course I had only used the XR55 for about 3 hours and I'm sure after adequate break-in it would have loosened up, became more musical and enjoyable, perhaps even so to the extent where I may even have preferred it over my H/K. However, I am so satisfied with the performance of my H/K with my Ascends and my headphones for sound and features that I chose to keep the H/K and not to wait out the long break-in period with the XR55. The XR55 seems to be a very capable receiver and I can now see why it is so popular.
    Last edited by 1Time; 12-15-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Time
    2) the XR55 does not have some of the features my H/K has that I prefer, and 3) it did not sound as good (musical or natural) with my headphones as they did with my H/K.
    To hit such a low price point, features were certainly sacrificed. The headphone jack ain't gonna win any awards, that's for sure.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    To hit such a low price point, features were certainly sacrificed. The headphone jack ain't gonna win any awards, that's for sure.

David
    Sorry, I did not mean to denigrate the performance of the XR55 with headphones. To the contrary I found its headphone performance to be quite strong. It's just that I found the positives and negatives I previoiusly noted between the XR55 and H/K to apply with my headphones except they were accentuated even more so than with my Ascends. I've found headphones tend to accentuate the character of an amp better than speakers. The headphones I use are Audio-Technica ATH-A900. After break-in I'm certain many would consider the XR55 to be excellent for use with headphones as well.

Sorry, I did not mean to denigrate the performance of the XR55 with headphones.
    I don't think the headphone circuitry is anything but an afterthought on the 55. I use a separate headphone amp when listening to hp's. My cans cost more than my Panny receiver so my expectations are a bit higher as well. Since I started working days just over a year ago, I don't listen to hp's like I use to. I much perfer listening to my Ascends.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I don't think the headphone circuitry is anything but an afterthought on the 55. I use a separate headphone amp when listening to hp's. My cans cost more than my Panny receiver so my expectations are a bit higher as well. Since I started working days just over a year ago, I don't listen to hp's like I use to. I much perfer listening to my Ascends.

David
    I'm finding I prefer listing to the Ascends for music, mostly casual listening at lower volumes. However, for TV or movies I will use my A900s headphones.

My A900s only cost $20 more than what I paid for my XR55, and I got a goood deal on each. However, I thought the HP out of the XR55 was very strong. Of course I was using my A900s which are easy to drive. The XR55 sounded a lot like my LDM+ portable HP amp.

I may soon buy a pair of Senn HD580s to use as well, which I think would have gone much better with the XR55. If I buy the 580s, I will try them with my LDM+ from the HP out of my H/K (which I know is a no-no). And then if that doesn't work well with the 580s, I would be forced to get a better HP amp.

I may soon buy a pair of Senn HD580s to use as well, which I think would have gone much better with the XR55.
    These are what I use. Nice cans.

David