Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 170SE Impressions with my H/K AVR630 and Pany XR55

Quote Originally Posted by 1Time
    Sorry for jumping the gun here; I got a little too excited with my new toys.
    We've all been there, done that. I'm currently going through it with my first widescreen HDTV. I finally have video that's more in keeping with my audio.
    I will update later.
    Look forward to your impressions.

David

Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    Never thought I'd see the day that CE's would start using switching supplies in audio applications.
    If you mean switching power supplies, tons of consumer electronics use them - probably the vast majority. Of course, that's a different topic than switching amps.

Yeah I meant Supplies.

I know alot of stuff uses them, but I didn't figure they were clean enough for HiFi.
    I've built FWB supplies myself.

I mistaken thought you wrote Supplies, I went back and saw that you wrote Amps.

My Bad.

Thx
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

I may want to fashion some home-made room treatments some day; however my preference IS to keep the ambience effect that the hard surfaces in my room seems to compliment.

I just want to add that if you treat the first side-reflections, the soundstage opens up greatly and the imaging really improves.

You'd think the reflections would increase the "size" of the sound. But I've found that with side-wall treatments, I only hear the sound from the speakers (plus any minor reflections elsewhere in the room), and that sound is much, much bigger.

With fiberglass panels with frames, you can cover them with any kind of fabric you want. Not just plain canvas, but patterned or colored fabric to match your living space. I use a purple shower curtain, that luckily was the exact same color as our walls, for the side panels. For the front panels (bass traps), I use a patterned tablecloth.
    ( http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7455862 )
    So you can find creative ways to help blend panels in a little better that everyone in your house can at least live with.

cyberbri, your bfd graph looks very good (from your gallery) , would you say that the sound was much improved or just somewhat improved.

Thanks
    Eric

Much, much, much improved.

The bass traps (GIK Acoustics, 2x 244 panel in each front corner) did a great job of tightening up the bass and getting rid of the ringing and boominess, although I would like to get some more absorbption in the corners if possible.

On top of cleaning up the bass, it improved the response slightly. But because of my room, etc., I added the BFD to flatten out the response. Bass went from great (nothing) -> even better (panels) -> amazing (panels + BFD). I can hear each bass note in music - it's extremely detailed and no bass notes over power any others.

I highly recommend both. After seeing the panels, I'm confident I could fashion together some regular panels. Although what I would like to get are the Tri-Traps from GIK Acoustics, since they would fit nicely behind the panels I already have.

I have done some homemade rigid fiberglass panels myself and am happy with the results. I have downloaded some room analysis software so to better calibrate my room, but have not used it yet. thanks for the replay, and sorry for the threadjack.

My 170SE's are sounding SO good now with music. They're finally getting broken in. Very nice, and I'm mostly just listening to FM radio with my H/K AVR630. After a few hours the Pany simply wore me out, very fatiguing, as if it were never going to mellow out and become more musical. I know it needed to break in several more hours before I should have given up on it. However, I wanted to listen to and enjoy what already was sounding so good and that was the H/K and 170SE's. I could only keep one of these receivers and the H/K does such a fine job with the 170SE's, plus it has features I want that the Pany does not have, and the H/K's performance with my headhones is top rate, VERY nice. Sorry all... I actually sold my Pany before breaking it in for a good 40 hours to see how it would better compare with the H/K.

I would've thought the High Current amp would sound better, but thats just my old school ass(tube gear in my past- nothing high end, but smooth none the less).
    The 170's sound sweet to my ears as well 1Time.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

Oh, and one more thing. I'm listing to way more music at home than I ever used to and am watching way less TV. I think this is a good thing.