Thread: Why not Ascends?

Default Why not Ascends?

I subscribe to a couple different magazines (home theater mag, stereophile) and i never hear any mention ever of Ascend Acoustics. Just curious why this is since IMO they are excellent speakers.

Probably because they are internet direct and do not advertise.

There was a nice article about them in DVD Etc. Magazine a while back, as well as Sensible Sound.
    -curtis

Any review outlet with commercial advertising is going to be more likely to include items from its advertising partners. Remember that those companies are likely sending those reviewers all kinds of free equipment knowing that it will get reviewed. I am much more inclined to believe reviews from actual users or real tech-heads than from the glitzy review sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Havelcek
    Any review outlet with commercial advertising is going to be more likely to include items from its advertising partners. Remember that those companies are likely sending those reviewers all kinds of free equipment knowing that it will get reviewed. I am much more inclined to believe reviews from actual users or real tech-heads than from the glitzy review sites.
    I agree with this and would add that it helps to identify posters whose listening impressions and buying experiences have some relation to our own. Lots of posters are knowledgeable and have experience but if they hear differences in powercords and you don't, they may not be a person who can help in a buying decision. It took me many months to decide on which new speakers to consider and most of that time was spent deciding who was giving information that was relevant to me and who was speaking to a different consumer.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I agree with this and would add that it helps to identify posters whose listening impressions and buying experiences have some relation to our own. Lots of posters are knowledgeable and have experience but if they hear differences in powercords and you don't, they may not be a person who can help in a buying decision. It took me many months to decide on which new speakers to consider and most of that time was spent deciding who was giving information that was relevant to me and who was speaking to a different consumer.

David
    Yep exactly...as I've been planning my HT buildout over the last few months one of my major challenges was finding folks who had the same or similar equipment to me and getting their impressions. I've sent a whole lot of PMs at the AVSforum during this process, that's for sure