Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Sub for My 170SE Mains for 2.1 Music?

i haven't heard those subs you just mentioned, but if you really want to go inexpensive i would strongly consider following curtis' advise and looking at the hsu stf-1. i've heard it, and it's no slouch for such a little sub. av123 also makes a small sub that they sell for $200. i haven't heard it but people seem pretty positive about it as well. maybe i'm just buying into the marketing of the name brands, but for the price and for what you want (small room and music) i bet either of these subs would do well for you.

I just took out 2 Diana Krall CDs from the library last night. Put in The girl in the other room and WOW! Sounded incredible on my "old" 170's with my UFW-10 punching out the lows. What a voice.

I tried finding some Patricia Barber CDs, but I had to put my name on a waiting list. I reserved Night Club. Can't wait to hear what all the fuss is about.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I tried finding some Patricia Barber CDs, but I had to put my name on a waiting list. I reserved Night Club. Can't wait to hear what all the fuss is about.
    I actually have Nightclub on right now as I am getting ready for work. GREAT stuff!
    -curtis

Just a quick comment that as long as you get a reasonably decent sub the real trick to getting a sub to fit in with your speakers is not necessrily the sub itself but the calibration and positioning of the sub. When you get your sub to get it to have a seamless transition you are going to have to experiment a lot with putting the sub in a location in the room and then finding the correct phase and volume for that location. Either by ear or preferably using a spl meter you will then need to figure out how the sub behaves through its octaves at that location and then repeat the process for many new locations. IF you do not have a spl meter you really should get one as it is the only way to properly calibrate your system.

My personal reccomendation for you situation would be a stf-1 from HSU, or the X-series from AVS123, but that really was not the point of my post.

I agree with the placement and calibration issues of a sub and understand the trial and error aspect of this. And, although I'm sure the STF-1 and x-sub are VERY compentent subs for music, I'm very limited on placement options for the sub, basically somewhere between the 170SE's. The 170SE's will be elevated 4' to 6' and so I'd actually like the option of elevating the sub off the floor a few feet (probably a big no-no). And so, I'm thinking a front firing sub would give me this option. I'd rather not turn a down-firing sub on its side. Although, tonight I will try this with my old 100w Acoustic Research sub to see if I can hear any difference. I think playing around with it tonight will help me determine which way to go from here. Thanks again.

I would like to see a picture of the room. Seems it might be interesting.
    -curtis

I actually have both an Onix X-sub and a Hsu vtf-2 (MkI). While the X-sub is a nice little sub, it definitely gives up extension and output to the bigger Hsu.

This isn't as big of a deal with music as with movies, or if you have a smaller space.

DIY with a sub is definitely a good option if you have the equipment and skills - there are lots of options and opinions out there. The DIY section on AVS seems to mainly be subs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Time
    And, although I'm sure the STF-1 and x-sub are VERY compentent subs for music.....
    If I ever got an STF-1, it would probably be used more for music than anythingelse. That said, a couple of years ago when the STF line was announced, I was at the Hsu office for a demo. They were playing a scene from LOTR and I turned to Dr. Hsu and asked "is that the VTF-3?" He smiled and said "No, that is the STF-1." I was shocked. It was in nearfield placement, and it put a good shake on the couch. Dr. Hsu is proud of that little sucker.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    DIY with a sub is definitely a good option if you have the equipment and skills - there are lots of options and opinions out there. The DIY section on AVS seems to mainly be subs.
    I really wish I had the woodworking skills and tools to try the DIY route.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I really wish I had the woodworking skills and tools to try the DIY route.
    i wish i had the room and the wife that would let me build a giant sonosub...
    Last edited by ebh; 12-01-2006 at 03:31 PM.