Thread: Have Boston Acoustics CR, need upgrade advice

Default Have Boston Acoustics CR, need upgrade advice

Hello everyone, I've been reading your forum for a while now but never posted. I use my system for 90% movies and 10% music, but when I listen to music I'm looking for top quality sound.

I currently have a setup consisting entirely of Boston Acoustics CR series speakers. These were purchased around eight years ago and I have enjoyed the sound quality but am ready for an upgrade. On occasion, I feel that the system is a tad bright but I'm not sure how much of that is caused by the speakers vs. receiver vs. lack of room treatment. I have notice strain at high volumes, sibilance at moderate to high volumes, and the center channel is pretty weak.

I have been a Boston Acoustics fan for many years, using their equipment both in my house and also the car. I don't have the extra cash laying around to buy an entire system, so I'm looking at an upgrade path to purchase one piece at a time to achieve best results whether they come with Boston Acoustics or Ascend Acoustics. I am willing to wait and purchase one piece at a time to end up with the system that I want in the end. Here is my current equipment:

AVR: ............ Yamaha RX-V995 (DD/DTS, 5x100w)
    Front R/L: ...... CR8
    Center .......... CR2
    Surround R/L: ... CR7
    Subwoofer: ...... PV700
    TV: ............. Hitachi 57F59a

Should I stick with Boston Acoustics knowing that I've liked their sound in the past, even though it's a tad bright at times? Or try Ascends? I don't want to feel like there may be something out there that's better, that I'm missing out on due to ignorance of a better product.

If I stick with Boston, my system would most likely be replaced in this order: VR12 center (used), an SVS cylinder subwoofer, VR3 mains, and then Bravo, VRB, or VRX surrounds. More than likely I would continue using the RX-V995 receiver until all speakers have been replaced, then as a pre-amp while purchasing separate amplifier(s), then upgrade the receiver to a dedicated pre/pro in the end with some newer features. If I go with Ascends, I would like to end up with 340SEs across the front and 170SE surrounds.

What do you recommend, and do you agree with the upgrade path or recommend a different route? Thanks for the advice!

Hey LS1 !!

As you know from our AVS talk, I also find the CR series a bit bright, especially at high levels.Low volume sound is fine, but they get a bit harsh when cranked...

I attribute it to the Kortec tweeter in them.

We almost have the same setup!!
    Yammy htr 5550
    CR75 mains
    CRC center
    Micro 90 surrounds
    PV600
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

Hi again muzz! Our systems are very similar! I did some listening today to a pair of Boston VR2's driven by a Denon receiver. They did sound very good, and I did not notice the sibilance or harsh treble that I experience with my CR8s. They were definitely much smoother, but at times I felt they were missing out in the midrange.

One of the discs that I took with me is the new Evanescence CD, The Open Door. On my home system, I notice quite a bit of sibilance and harsh treble and Amy Lee's voice does not sound even throughout her range. This same CD played through the VR2s today sounded much better for sure, without the harsh treble or sibilance even when I drove them pretty hard. One thing that I did notice is that Amy's voice was very full in the lowest frequencies of her vocal range, thinned out in the middle, and then became solid and clear again up top. While this is a major improvement over my CRs, it is not quite perfect. I've heard many state that the VR3 is a huge improvement over the VR2, but there were none on hand to compare.

I am curious if the 340SE is able to maintain the smoothness that the VR2 was lacking today?

One thing to remember about sibilance is that is most of the time, in not all the time, in the recording itself. Speakers/electronics either play it as is, emphasize it, or de-emphasize it.

Listen to how everyone pronounces the "s" sound in everyday conversation, let alone singing.
    -curtis

I just found a FR graph of the VR3. Look at that 9-10 kHz bump! OK, I think my next system is going to be the Ascends.
    This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the VR3 L/R (purple trace), PV900 subwoofer (blue trace), VRC center channel (green trace), and VRX surround (red trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by LS1 Sounds
    I just found a FR graph of the VR3. Look at that 9-10 kHz bump! OK, I think my next system is going to be the Ascends.
    OK, now you're required to post your impressions once you've had an opportunity to hear the Ascends. Give em some time. It's going to be a different listening experience.

David

I'll chime in here as I did a direct A-B with the VR2 and 340SE. If you don't need the added bass of the VR2, both speakers have great mids, but the Ascends stay cleaner up on top, especially at higher volumes. You may actually prefer the Bostons if you have a lot of older recordings--that bump up at 10 khz gives them a bit of more energy at medium volumes. At high volumes, I preferred the Ascends however as the Vr2's in my room became a bit harsh sounding...as well as with more recent recordings, I also preferred the Ascends.

There are huge obvious differences in cabinet size. The Bostons maybe not that tall, but are fairly wide at 9".

By all means I'd take Ascend up on their 30 day trial and do some direct comparisons. It came down to VR3s vs 340s for me and the two speakers sound quite different. If you are after a full bodied midrange, I actually doubt either of these speakers will be to your liking. The 4db bump in the VR3 FR matches hearing sensitivity curves.....Boston actually shoots for this type of response, it's the Boston Sound.

LS1
    My CR75 to 170SE upgrade was just that, an upgrade.
    A VERY good upgrade, wish I had done it long ago......
    I didn't try the 340SEcc as a main yet, I am resisting that impulse for financial reasons!!
    It sounds great as a CC, and, as you would guess, it totally annihilates my old BA CRC CC(which I KNEW was garbage, but I couldn't afford a better one when I got it).

And to think, I paid $300 like 5 or 6 yrs ago for those CR75's at a B&M store....

I can say it easily, the words I will use for that is:
    RIP OFF.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....