Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Sub for My 170SE Mains for 2.1 Music?

Default What Sub for My 170SE Mains for 2.1 Music?

Please suggest or recommend a subwoofer for use with my 170SE mains for 2.1 music at moderate to low volumes.

I'm more interested in how well the sub blends with my Ascends than how low or loud the sub plays. My budget for this sub is up to $500 or so.

Thanks!

The obvious answer would be a Hsu STF-2 or STF-3 which are both on sale right now for 20% off. They are very popular among Ascend owners.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    The obvious answer would be a Hsu STF-2 or STF-3 which are both on sale right now for 20% off. They are very popular among Ascend owners.
    I thought it would be HSU, just had to ask to be sure. Incredible deals... thank you very much!

----------------------

Edit: Hmmm... on second thought... I copied the following from HSU's site:

"STF subwoofers remove the Variable Tuning feature of the VTF line. VTF subwoofers can be tuned electronically and physically to play either loud or low, letting customers decide how deep to play. STF subwoofers don't have this feature."

Now I'm concerned one of the STF subs might not be best for me because I intend to use it at low to moderate volumes.

Should I have reason for concern? If so, what other sub(s) should I consider?

Would the obvious answer then be the HSU VTF-2 MK 2?
    Last edited by 1Time; 11-29-2006 at 09:12 PM.

any sub calibrated properly will play at low to moderate volumes, if your mains are also playing at low to moderate volumes. i think you are misreading the info on the two hsus tho--in actuality the VTF-2 is the one that will be able to play louder (when in max output mode), the tradeoff being a few hz in depth. The STF-2 has a bit smaller of an amp and is tuned at 25hz. i think it has a lower overall output than the VTF-2.

the calculation most people make when determining what sub to get is the room size (in cubic feet). that said, it seems to me this is more often used when dealing with home theater applications than music. i have a UFW-10 from av123 that works pretty well with music along with my 170s. It is another sub you might want to look into. SVS is another popular choice.

if you are handy i would maybe suggest going with a do it yourself sub like the rhythmik, which is what i wish i had done. but if not, either the hsus will probably work for you, and the STF-2 might be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Time
    I thought it would be HSU, just had to ask to be sure. Incredible deals... thank you very much!

----------------------

Edit: Hmmm... on second thought... I copied the following from HSU's site:

"STF subwoofers remove the Variable Tuning feature of the VTF line. VTF subwoofers can be tuned electronically and physically to play either loud or low, letting customers decide how deep to play. STF subwoofers don't have this feature."

Now I'm concerned one of the STF subs might not be best for me because I intend to use it at low to moderate volumes.

Should I have reason for concern? If so, what other sub(s) should I consider?

Would the obvious answer then be the HSU VTF-2 MK 2?

Having a UFW-10 myself, I give it another vote, especially for music. It blends seamlessly with my classic 170's.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Very good info and suggestions / recommendations offered, just what I needed. I guess I'm now leaning more toward selecting a less expensive sub (closer to $400) since my listening / HT room is fairly small and less expensive subs have been suggested / recommended.

I am a do-it-yourself type and have put together DIY speakers before, yet I never considered a DIY sub. I guess I was assuming the manufactured ones would be superior. I looked briefly at the rhythmik and it seems like it may be the best performer in my price range. However, would it be the best sounding sub for music with my 170SE's? Or, would one of the manufactured subs be better for me? Or, at low to moderate volumes in a small room would I not appreciate the difference? I'm looking to be swayed and personal testimonies from those with 170SE's and a sub seem to carry the most weight with me. Or, should I instead go with a superior sub like the rhythmik and call it a day?

A seemless and musical integration with my 170SE's is primarily what I'm after for low to moderate volumes. I expect to set the crossover for the Ascends at 60Hz or 80Hz depending on which receive I use. I read up on the Rocket ULW-10, and its advertising describes what I'm after. Here's a quote from AV123.com:

"Intended Uses:

The ULW-10 can be utilized in small to medium sized rooms. The ULW-10 is what we call a music lovers' subwoofer. It is perfect for music and home theater systems; especially where space is limited. It offers tight, accurate bass in a small package. It is not the loudest or deepest extending sub in the world but it will surprise you with its remarkable attack and decay."

Another "musical sub" I am considering is Orb Audio's Super Eight.

Any additional advise, suggestions / recommendations offered would be appreciated. And thank you all for your help.
    Last edited by 1Time; 11-30-2006 at 07:27 AM.

I thought about putting a 2.1 setup together for my bedroom with CBM-170SE's and a STF-1....I really like that little subwoofer. A used ACI sub may be right up your ally too.

Personally, I was not very impressed with Orb sub.

You are going to cross at 60hz or 80hz depending on receiver? I would play between the two and see what I liked best. Right now with my 340SE's I either use no sub, or cross at 80hz. I was crossing at 60hz, but lately 80hz seems to do it for me.
    -curtis

ulw-10 will be very similar to the ufw-10--just a bit smaller amp and a different cabinet design. if memory serves, there was a way to get the ulw-10 for $400 thru a link via audioholics... you might also just call av123 and see if they'll knock the price down.

also i agree with curtis, if you found a used ACI sub, that would be pretty awesome.

the thing that seems very cool about the rythmik is that the servo technology basically helps EQ the sub, so you get a very flat response, which ought to improve sound. i haven't heard one before, tho. but whenever i have time and some access to tools, i will probably build one.

Quote Originally Posted by ebh
    ulw-10 will be very similar to the ufw-10--just a bit smaller amp and a different cabinet design. if memory serves, there was a way to get the ulw-10 for $400 thru a link via audioholics... you might also just call av123 and see if they'll knock the price down.

also i agree with curtis, if you found a used ACI sub, that would be pretty awesome.

the thing that seems very cool about the rythmik is that the servo technology basically helps EQ the sub, so you get a very flat response, which ought to improve sound. i haven't heard one before, tho. but whenever i have time and some access to tools, i will probably build one.
    I'm pretty certain I'm building one of those myself!!
    I didn't plan on spending $ on a sub, but I really don't see the point in spending $4-500 on a good commercial sub, when I can easily build a VVG sub for the same price.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

I've been researching subs for a while (I'm learning) and now am preferring a front firing sub; I like the idea of the bass being aimed at me (not that it makes any real difference).

As a first option I'm now considering the Velodyne Acoustics VX10 for $150 shipped. From the personal reviews I read, this sub very well may be up to the task. Again my listening room is fairly small and this will be for music at low to moderate volumes.

As a second option I'm considering the DAYTON TITSK-10K 10" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER KIT for $288 shipped. I think it's safe to say this Dayton should out-perform the Veladyne VX10 in every way.

And, as much as I am sure the more expensive subs that have been mentioned would grandly compliment a pair of 170SE's, I'm now hesitant to spending the extra money as I have become more convinced a sub for less money will cut it. Yes? No?

Thanks again for everyone's help with my subwoofer selection process.