Thread: Sorrounds?

Default Sorrounds?

Let me just say in advance that this forum is awesome. No other company will you find support like on here.
    I have a 7.1 system and i need new sorrounds. Im sure alot would say why not go with 4 170's or 4 200's, but i really dont have the budget for that right now (even with the 170 sale going on right now) . So im looking for suggestions on 4 sorround speakers to go with my ascend F,L,C 340se's. Also how should you pick your sorrounds? I mean you hear all the time the question "If I go with 340's all the way around, or if I go with " " all the way around will that be overkill? What is overkill? If their great speakers why not go with them all the way around? Either way Ive looked at a few different sets of 4 off ebay and such that i can purchase within my budget of @ $500.
    1) PSB Speakers Image 10S
    2) Cambridge Soundworks Newton Series S300
    3) Polk Audio FXi50, or FXI3
    4) paradigm ADP 170's

From what ive heard it is very important to have matching sorrounds but like i said putting ascends aside id like to get an opinion of what everyone would recomend. Oh one more reason im not going with 170's is i have a very large room. 14'x40'. I would imagine bipole/dipole speakers would fill the room more. If im way off on that comment please let me know. Thank you everyone very much in advance.

I think most would say having dipole/bipole speakers on a 7.1 setup is overkill, even with a larger room. While dipoles do create a more enveloping sound, you lose most of your directional sound effects that makes 7.1 so neat (it might be a little different story if you were only doing 5.1 with a large room). Anyways, unless you listen to multichannel music, my personal opinion is it is OK to go with pretty cheap surround speakers. In movies their is just not that much audio that goes to the surrounds. Even something like the insignia speakers from best buy which run like $50 might be OK. Others opinions will vary of course and it is always best to have an uniform sound field. The 200's wouldn't be that far over your budget.

scottyh, if you request a quote from Ascend, I suspect you will find that 4 HTM-200s will be very close to your budget limit, plus a little extra for shipping.

If you check onecall.com, there are a variety of Athena, Boston, Infinity, JBL, and Polk bookshelves that come in pairs for less than $200.