Thread: Best 2.0 computer speakers

Default Best 2.0 computer speakers

Embarassing to ask in this forum, but I can't seem to find any help elsewhere. Any recommendations for 2.0 PC speakers mainly for gaming, video editing, internet and some music?

I have an old Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 system, but for space-saving reasons, want only 2.0 set. Gonna stick with Newegg, who has all the main name-brands (e.g. jbl, logitech, creative, klipsch, etc). The Klipsch promedia 2.0 set looks interesting, but is a tad bigger and more expensive than I'd prefer (10.5" height, $50 on ebay).

What're y'all using for your computers?

So, you want 2.0 for under $50? Is 2.1 bad? The Logitech X-230's for $35 are a good 2.1 setup - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836121119

The choices for 2.0 aren't that great unless you get above $50 - seems like the companies have focused their efforts on 2.1 and 5.1.

I'm using HTM-200s at work and Onix X-LS's at home on my computers, but neither fit your requirements.

I'd get the HTM-200s and hook them up to a Sonic Impact T-Amp...

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    I'd get the HTM-200s and hook them up to a Sonic Impact T-Amp...
    I don't think this will make it under $50.

Look at it this way: Are you going to want to spend $50 on some so-so or POS speakers and have to spend more later, or are you going to spend a little bit more and never have to upgrade to another 2.0 system ever again?

Very few people can justify $300 on a computer audio setup - the only reasons I have them are because I upgraded my main system and downsteamed the HTM-200s, and the X-LS's were free (give-away at an event).

I could be perfectly happy with a "POS" under $50 system for most of my computer listening. I would not feel compelled to spend more money later unless I was using my computer as a primary music system for some reason.

BGHD - Another potential option is headphones. You'll get better sound quality for your money with headphones than with speakers. Of course, it may not work with your usage/needs.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely suggest headphones as an alternative as well.

Personally, I'd suggest not to buy into the "gaming"-whatever stuff people try to sell. Gaming audio is not some mythical audio that is better suited to lower-quality speakers...realistic effects can SERIOUSLY make your skin crawl with the right setup, and explosions and crunches can be oh-so-satisfyingly good, nevermind the immersion I get with my Ascends when playing a racing game...

Well, I do have an extra pair of htm200s that I could use (recently dropped from 7.1 to 5.1. Only thing is they're a tad bigger than I'd prefer. I was hoping to pare down the size of my desktop setup as much as possible, which is why I'm trying to find an alternative to my current Cambridge 4.1 set (only using 2.1 though). Also would like to minimize the amount of cable spaghetti behind the computer.

If I go the htm200 + a low-cost amp route, is it a fairly straightforward setup? Digital miniplug out from sound card (have Audigy 2) to amp to speakers? But, can I really trust a company that makes these?:

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Impact-6...&s=electronics

Yeah, I have headphones (overpriced **** noise cancelling and a hulking Sony one too), but the WAF doesn't appreciate it when I'm so isolated from the family.

Well, then I'll either look into the Sonic Tamp (any recommendation for a smaller cheapish model?) or just get a cheapo 2.0 set from newegg. I imagine all the $20 cheapo ones are about the same. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by BGHD; 11-27-2006 at 07:29 PM.

You will not be able to digitally connect your sound card to the T-amp. The T-amp does not have a built in DAC or digital connections.
    -curtis

I really like the Altec Lansing MX5020s (you can get them for around $35 on eBay) and the Creative Gigaworks T20 looks really good too, with the tweeter on the bottom and firing upwards so its aimed at your ears better.

Anything with a tweeter to go with that 2.5-3" midrange is a good thing in my book for PC speakers.
    Last edited by Asliang; 11-29-2006 at 05:35 PM.