Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New member here- Hello!!

The center blended in sweet with the mains, I was actually rather impressed.

I started really listening alot again(I was in a band, I was either listening, or playing music constantly) about a week or so prior to ordering the speakers, this will just make it worse(for HER )!!

Listening to Supernatural now, and man it sounds so much smoother..
    Makes me realize how pathetic my sub is though!!
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

Your room does not look that big.

Do you think your could get $350 if you sold your old sub and speakers? If so, with the sale going on at Hsu, that is how much a STF-2 would be shipped to your door.
    -curtis

Yeah, I think so.

I am seriously considering holding off for a few, and then building a 12" Rythmic Direct Servo Sealed sub.
    Small, very musical, with plenty of bass for 90+% of the public.

I have to dampen/isolate my room a bit from upstairs, she complains all the time....
    Talk about putting a damper on things........

Thx for the info curtis.

Muzz it's interesting to me that you switched from BA CR75s to Ascends. I also paid $300 plus tax for a pair of them at Tweeter a few years ago, and used them for several years. Actually I don't think they're horrible speakers at all... for the $180 or so they now sell for on Amazon. For $320 plus tax? I had to EQ them pretty seriously with a 31-band DBX graphic to kill the shrill upper mids and smooth out the bass response, so I believe you are hearing pretty much the same things I heard with them. I never owned really good speakers until the last couple years and had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I could only afford speakers that can only sound good through an EQ. Imagine that!

Well I'm happy to say the EQ is no longer required, though I do prefer having one in-line with the CBM-170SEs while mixing, just to tweak SLIGHTLY for my small room -- and I do mean slightly, like a dB or two down here and there for taste, nothing like the roller coaster curves I needed with the Bostons! And even that has more to do with my room and the amps and receiver I've been using than the speakers. I'm still fine tuning my DIY acoustic treatments and don't have the amp (and possibly pre/pro) in here yet that I will want to keep for a while. I'm looking to pick up an Emotiva LPA-1 and quite probably an LMC-1 soon, maybe that'll keep me happy for a while...

Anyway welcome to the world of audio bliss!
    www.popularsoundproductions.com
    Live sound reinforcement, live 24-track digital recording

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    A little off topic...this past weekend I was given a little demo on the setup and use of Dolby ProLogic IIx (music mode) and its adjustments with my system. The use of this multichannel processing doesn't do what you would think, the use of the surrounds is subtle and not discretely noticeable. Playing with the parameters, you increase the size of the soundstage without knowing the center and surrounds are in use. I was very impressed.
    It's nice to hear a very experienced and discriminating listener recognizing the potential virtues of Dolby PLIIx (or Logic 7/DTS Neo:6) rather than reciting the usual "I like my 2-channel music in stereo only" mantra. IMO, there are many legitimate reasons for using one of these "matrix" modes in the context of a typical surround system, especially if one has a good center channel speaker and a big TV between the "mains".

At least try them with an open mind... you may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    It's nice to hear a very experienced and discriminating listener recognizing the potential virtues of Dolby PLIIx (or Logic 7/DTS Neo:6) rather than reciting the usual "I like my 2-channel music in stereo only" mantra. IMO, there are many legitimate reasons for using one of these "matrix" modes in the context of a typical surround system, especially if one has a good center channel speaker and a big TV between the "mains".

At least try them with an open mind... you may be surprised.
    Yes....it was very interesting to say the least. I really openned my eyes(ears). It is just weird that I never really tried it before.

I will continue to play around with it. The information coming from the surrounds is very subtle and interesting.

I will say, when comparing speakers, I think it is important to keep DSP processing at a minimum.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I will say, when comparing speakers, I think it is important to keep DSP processing at a minimum.
    No argument there...

Yeah EJB, thats where I got mine as well, for 180? OK, $300? No way.
    I won't make that kind of mistake again, even if it means I have to go without while I do my research/ delivery.
    Back then I was much poorer than I am now, I know, thats sad but.......
    I wanted the VRM60's, but I didn't have $1K to spend!!
    I'd like to compare these 170se's to the VRM60's(which BTW are hard to find, and new are still like $500+), I'd bet it would turn a few heads.

It definitely sounds to me like you feel the same way about the CR75's sound.

I've heard worse, but as I said, IMO there is NO comparison between them and the 170's.

Thanks, I'm enjoying my stay!!

O Btw.

I went to sleep late last night (any guesses why? heheh), I let the player run, and fell asleep to the tunage. been awhile since I did that..... at least ON PURPOSE!!! LOL
    Last edited by muzz; 12-06-2006 at 03:45 PM.

Getting better and better!!
    I've been listening to Queen tonight, and all I can say is WOW!!

China on Fat Bottom Girls, chimes on BR sound fantastic.

I'm not even sitting in front of the speakers(at computer desk), and I am hearing stuff in the background just popping out.

I am really liking the sound of these speakers, the sound is unreal.

I HAVE noticed a SHARP increase in vocal quality, I feel I can hear the qualities of the room they are recorded in, harmonies are fantastic as well, not smeared, CLEAR!!

After all I've read regarding these speakers, I am STILL shocked at the depth and clean sound.
    Revealing definitely doesn't mean BRIGHT(My Bostons were bright, and they covered stuff up with artificial tone), I feel the best word to describe revealing is TRUE.

BTW these speakers are rated to 58, the Bostons are rated to 52(not much, but hey).....
    The BASS on these puppies sounds MUCH better, I dare say deeper(although maybe they just rolloff better for my sub), and definitely more defined.

I'm just shocked that I spent $248 on a pair of "B" (thats a laugh) stock 170SE's, and it sounds like I bought a pair of EXPENSIVE speakers.

All I can say is WOW, now I know why I wasn't listening to music that much anymore.

Queen sure sounds awesome on these.

Can you guys see the ear to ear I have going on? LMAO

Woooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo

Hi Muzz,

Great stuff! I am so very pleased that you are enjoying the speakers. It is really refreshing to see such enthusiasm this time of the year where most people can't find the time to sit back and relax and ENJOY the good things.(me included -- entire family is sick, including our 3 month old little girl and there is nothing more jump-off-a-click challenging then caring for a sick infant)

Welcome to the family!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com