Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New member here- Hello!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge59
    Muzz

If COST is really an issue you should consider HTM-200. CBM-170 for surround duty might be overkill. Are these 170 B-stock cheaper...?

I dare say, a HTM-200 all around system is very respectable, for HT in a mid-seized room.

good luck
    Thanks for the input Jorge, I THOUGHT about the 200's for surrounds, but the B stock 170's are even less !!
    Can't wait to get them, they shipped today, but it seems my 340SE CC hasn't yet.
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

I guess I was WRONG about my 340SE CC, it HAS shipped.
    When I got my tracking# I went to UPS, and it said 2 packages, 32 lbs, which just happens to be the shipping weight of the 170's....
    I didn't notice that when I clicked on the "ALL", it listed ANOTHER package ( seperate #), with a shipping weight of 28lbs, guess what the shipping weight of the 340se is!!

I'm guessing that the 170s are packaged together.

I can't wait for Tuesday!!

Do I HAVE to be here to sign for these, or will they leave them?

I HATE the have to be there crap.

Depends on your neighborhood, the delivery person, and any qualifications in the shipment method (I think vendors can demand a signature). With something so precious, personally, I would want to be home. Great excuse to take off from work (or whatever) and play with your new toys

p.s. pretty sure you can leave a note stating dropoff is ok. Just make sure you sign it.

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    p.s. pretty sure you can leave a note stating dropoff is ok. Just make sure you sign it.
    I have done this before with other stuff.
    -curtis

I may not be able to be home, I am home today.....
    They are at UPS right now, app. 40 miles North of here.

I may just go and get them.

Well my speakers were here when I got home........

I took pictures of EVERY side of the boxes, before touching anything, a couple of dents, a few smal holes..... Hmmm, did the same thing for the INTERIOR boxes.... a couple creases, which matched the exterior dents....
    Unwrap 340SE CC...

MINT!!

Unwrap the 170's.......
    MINT!!!

Not a lick of damage I can see, and as far as being "B" stock is concerned, lets just say I am VERY pleased, a few small/slight DEPTH issues around the drivers, nothing at all major IMO.

Well, I was really pumped, so I unhooked ONE of my Boston CR75's, as I just wanted to get a feel for the difference in sound between these speakers.

I've been listening to alot of the OLD 70's compilation CD's(alot of great songs) lately, so I pulled out one with Frampton, and that song Dream Weaver.

I made sure to set the SPLS the same, even though this was just a small UNSCIENTIFIC test.

I know these Bostons, they are a low budget set of Bookshelves(EDIT: Which BTW cost $300 a Pr 5 or 6 yrs ago at a B&M- can you say rip off ?) with limited abilty, but...
    They really sound like it in comparison to the 170SE's, the CR75's sound a bit muddled in the mid base range, and the upper ranges are quite a bit Shrill sounding(especially at high volumes- think fatigueing), High Hat notes are nowhere near as natural sounding on the CR75 tweeters(I played drums for about 13 years), Tom toms?- 170s again.

So after just a few songs, at reasonable levels, I can say that IMO the 170SE's have:
    Tighter/Smoother mids/upper bass
    Cleaner highs, and IMO MUCH cleaner when the volume is turned up a bit.

I've obviously only had the 170's a VERY short time, but I've had them Bostons for like 5( 6?) years, and IMO there is no comparison between these speakers.
    This is not me WANTING to hear better sound, this is me HEARING better sound

I have hooked up the other 170, and I turned on the sub(I tested with the sub OFF, I wanted to hear them alone first), and the sound is just much better(my sub sux at higher levels, but is OK as a low end filler ONLY).

These are obviously still brand new, but they sound cleaner, and much more detailed in comparison to the Boston Acoustics CR75's.

OK enough of this, I gotta go listen to some more tunage B4 my SO gets home!!!

Call me@
    1VERYHAPPYCUSTOMER.COM

Leave a message, I won't be answering the phone till she gets home!!
    Thanks for the great deal Dave.

Gary
    Last edited by muzz; 12-05-2006 at 03:23 PM.

Holy Cow these speakers sound pretty nice!!

Carly Simon and her band sound awesome........

I hooked up the 340SE CC, and while I haven't watched any movies yet, I DID try music in PLII.

That CC sounds awesome as well, I could NEVER listen to music through my old, and startingly crappy BA CRC center channel(I always KNEW it was garbage, but O my),I listen to Stereo, but I could NOW tolerate PLII.

I can't wait to watch V4V in HD DVD again, I'm betting it's gonna be a total makeover.

Must resist the urge to hear the 340 as a main..... Must resist...Must Resist

muzz....glad it is all going well for you. If you are like many of the rest of us, Ascends made us listen to more and more music.....and movies.

A little off topic...this past weekend I was given a little demo on the setup and use of Dolby ProLogic IIx (music mode) and its adjustments with my system. The use of this multichannel processing doesn't do what you would think, the use of the surrounds is subtle and not discretely noticeable. Playing with the parameters, you increase the size of the soundstage without knowing the center and surrounds are in use. I was very impressed.
    -curtis