Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yearg! B-Stocks or a Nintendo Wii?

Default Weeeee

Merry xmas everyone!

Congrats again on the Wii, Curtis. Nice to hear it's fun to play - I'm dying to try one out. What's the status of the legacy games like the original mario bros? Have you gotten to play any of them?

On a more HD front - one of my friends nabbed a PS3 just before Xmas for himself, and as I'm visiting him for New Year's, I get to play it (hopefully on his projector if it's working). i'm excited
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Merry xmas everyone!

Congrats again on the Wii, Curtis. Nice to hear it's fun to play - I'm dying to try one out. What's the status of the legacy games like the original mario bros? Have you gotten to play any of them?

On a more HD front - one of my friends nabbed a PS3 just before Xmas for himself, and as I'm visiting him for New Year's, I get to play it (hopefully on his projector if it's working). i'm excited
    Well...it is backwards compatible with all Gamecube discs, and actually has connectors/slots for Gamecube controllers and memory cards.

Also this thing is wirelessly connected to internet via my wireless network at home and select legacy games from NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis and NEC TurboGrafx platforms are available for download. They use a points system to purchase these game.....you buy points cards at the game stores. A typical download is 600-800 points, and a 2000 point card is about $20.

A PS3 would be cool....gaming in HD!! The Wii does not support HD, but you can buy component cables to hook it up for a nicer picture.
    -curtis

So, $6-$8? I'd pay that anyday for the original mario bros. now I have to buy a Wii. Doh.

I'll have to get a 360 just for halo 3 as well.
    Jon O.

Hi Steve,

Sorry I missed this...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    ....here is something I was pondering last night and tested this morning. When off axis from a tweeter, the top end rolls off a little bit - the further off axis, the steeper the rolloff. Very generically, most tweeters will be a few dbs down from 10-20khz when measured from 15 degress off axis. If one wants to preserve the natural FR of the top end, they will want to use enough toe in so that the face of each speaker is pointed at their ears. In doing this however, width of soundstage is typically diminished. If a speaker were to have a natural FR with a rising top end, little to no toe in could be used, making the FR at the seat relatively flat, and providing a much wider soundstage.... So what I'm thinking - and will put into practice if I ever delve into diy speakers - is to purposefully aim for a boosted top end, allowing me to use little to no toe in while maintaining flat response and achieveing a very wide soundstage. Jon will also be testing this out, as he can adjust a resistor value to increase the top end of his Modula MTs. All the listening we did so far was with a pretty fair amount of toe in - he's gonna boost the top end and use no toe in.

What do you think of that concept Dave? Not from the viewpoint of putting it into a commercial speaker you are selling and have no control over how the end user (your customers) will position them in room, but as an intentional design aspect to be used with little to no toe in.

You bring up some good points and I will just add a few comments. Most experienced loudspeaker designers use a combination of direct- and reflected-sound when optimizing the HF response. It is true that a tweeter’s response will drop off more sharply as you move off-axis -- the higher the frequency, the shorter the wavelength. Many designers will use a rising HF response to compensate for this but it all depends on the design of the tweeter, the dome shape, the faceplate, --- so many variables.

Something you did not think of which is important to keep in mind is that as frequency increases, the wavelengths become more reflective. When you listen to a loudspeaker in a typical environment, you are hearing a combination of direct-sound (on-axis) and reflected-sound (off-axis, reflecting off walls etc.)

Boosting HF response means you are also increasing the amount of reflected sound reaching the listener, reflected sound is not accurate. The purpose of speaker toe-in is to help reduce HF reflections off the sidewalls; it is not to compensate for off-axis HF drop-off. Note that most dome tweeters will only be approx 3dB down at 20kHz at 15 degs off-axis (not audible unless you have bionic ears) and most listeners are well within +/- 15 degs of both speakers, the difference you hear with or without toe-in is the difference in reflected sound. To most listeners, more reflected sound = wider-deeper soundstage while in truth it is artificial and less accurate. If you boost the HF response and use less toe-in, I suspect that you will think you have widened the soundstage but all you have really done is increased the percentage of reflected-sound reaching the listener compared to direct-sound.

A flat on-axis response is good while a flat sound-power response will sound horrible. (all sound waves generated from the loudspeaker arriving at the listening position, including 1st, 2nd and 3rd reflections) You need some rather intensive measurement gear to determine this but from a DIY standpoint -- since you will be designing a loudspeaker specific to your tastes (not sell tens of thousands of them), I would recommend you simply do what sounds best to your ear....

hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com