Thread: Any Patricia Barber fans?

Default Any Patricia Barber fans?

Last night I went to LA/OC Audio Society meeting. The main attraction for me at the show were Pioneer's S-1EX speakers. I had heard them once before at the HE Show in LA this past June, and heard their high-end cousin the TAD Model-1 at CES 2005. They also showed off some ultra expensive cables, push/pull tube amps, and a preamp.

I was reminded of the meeting by a fellow AVS member, there was free food, so I decided to go.

I really love those speakers, and Andrew Jones, the engineer/designer of the speaker, was also there. He has a CD made directly from the master tape of Patricia Barber's "Nightclub" disc. I loved the cut that he played, "You Don't Know Me". So after the meeting, I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up the commercial version of the disc. Got it home a popped it in.....sounded great on my system too! Loved it.

I was just wondering if there were other Patricia Barber discs that any of you could recommend.
    -curtis

Patricia Barber is pretty popular fare among audiophiles and you're likely to hear it at many shows. The most popular disc seems to be Cafe Blue - I've heard it used to demo many speakers. You might want to check it out.

She performed live at the first RMAF, IIRC. I didn't catch the show though.

The library down the street from me has some of her CD's. They make a couple of trips to my house each year. So, yeah, I guess I'm a fan.

David

Thanks guys.

I have been poking around and see there are SACD versions of her work as well. I might have to order up a hybrid or two.
    -curtis

So I took my Patricia Barber disc over to my Parents' this evening and gave it a spin on their Ascend/Hsu setup. Both my Mom and my Dad liked it.

Now I am a bit worried....both my Parents liking music I brought to their place.

What does this mean?
    -curtis

Talking

Now I am a bit worried....both my Parents liking music I brought to their place.

What does this mean? [/QUOTE]

Turn the page, next chapter?
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Last night I went to LA/OC Audio Society meeting. The main attraction for me at the show were Pioneer's S-1EX speakers. I had heard them once before at the HE Show in LA this past June, and heard their high-end cousin the TAD Model-1 at CES 2005. They also showed off some ultra expensive cables, push/pull tube amps, and a preamp.

I was reminded of the meeting by a fellow AVS member, there was free food, so I decided to go.

I really love those speakers, and Andrew Jones, the engineer/designer of the speaker, was also there. He has a CD made directly from the master tape of Patricia Barber's "Nightclub" disc. I loved the cut that he played, "You Don't Know Me". So after the meeting, I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up the commercial version of the disc. Got it home a popped it in.....sounded great on my system too! Loved it.

I was just wondering if there were other Patricia Barber discs that any of you could recommend.
    I really like "A Fortnight in Paris" which you can pickup at yourmusic.com for $5.95. The sound quality is excellent.
    http://www.yourmusic.com/browse/albu...SEARCH_ARTISTS

I just might pick that up.

Kind of funny...my Dad picked up my kids afterschool today, he called me in the morning asking me to leave the Patricia Barber disc out for him to "borrow".
    -curtis

Default Re: Any Patricia Barber fans?

Best sounding recordings, I have found! Love the band!