Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood heat. SoCal ignore

Default Wood heat. SoCal ignore

It's too quiet around here. My 340C (SE) hasn't left California yet so the big question of the day is who heats with wood? How big a stove do you use and how much and what kind of fuel do you use? We just installed one of these and bought eight face cords.

http://www.quadrafire.com/products/i...il.asp?f=2700i

Unless it's a very mild winter, eight isn't going to get the job done.

David

We use something similar to this:
    http://www.quadrafire.com/products/s...lletStoves.asp

I'm in the central California foothills, so we don't get that cold, but cold enough.

That fireplace insert should work great. The popular thing here in the Midwest is corn burning stoves. They are essentially the same as the pellet stoves. I've been tempted to buy one that would connect into the central heating system of my house. Reportedly they have no odor or the creosote issues of wood. I've been tempted as being a farmer I have a ready supply of corn. The $2500 price tag is a bite tho.

Randy

We do actually use heaters here Even at the beach (warmer than the valleys and Inland Empire) it can dip into the 40's on occassion. I'm a MN transplant so I know that isn't "cold".
    Brian
    340SE L/C/R
    170SE rears
    Hsu VTF3 MK 2

I was born and raised in SoCal....and I live near the beach. The 40's IS COLD for me.
    -curtis

I lived in Tucson for a little over a year. When I moved there in January of 70, I had the top down on my convertible day and night. A light jacket at most. When I moved back to Syracuse in April of 71, I wore a winter jacket even when it was in the 40's. The sun and the warmth had turned me into a wuss.
    This morning, as I look out my window, it's 32 degrees with some snow flurries. Can't decide whether to wear sandals or shoes on my bike commute to work. It's going to soar into the upper 30's today and the main snow squalls will remain 30 miles to the north, so sandals it is. Nothing like normalcy.

David

If I could, I'd wear sandals to work too!
    -curtis

Went to my son's football banquet at his school last night. Started at 7pm. weather was clear, no rain or snow....nothing. Left at 8:45pm to find I had to brush about an inch or two of snow off my car

Today the low temp is 25 and the high is 40, and it ain't even Thanksgiving yet!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by BriWit
    We do actually use heaters here Even at the beach (warmer than the valleys and Inland Empire) it can dip into the 40's on occassion. I'm a MN transplant so I know that isn't "cold".
    Agreed. But, I really think it's lame that people in SoCal place such a premium fireplaces. I've used it once in 6 years, and really only to make sure the gas worked. And, do others always find fireplaces in exactly the spot where you'd wanna place your big screen? Sorry, off-topic a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    And, do others always find fireplaces in exactly the spot where you'd wanna place your big screen? Sorry, off-topic a bit.
    Very much on topic for our forum. Our fireplace, which holds our wood stove, sits in the best place for a wide-screen, and of course the 340's would be ideal on either side of the W-S in this location as well.
    The house was designed and built 90 years ago before there was central heating and the fireplace was situated where it would be most effective in providing heat as well as being the focal point of the main floor. The fireplace was the television in 1916.
    I'd assume builders put fireplaces where they do in new construction to make an immediate statement. It draws the prospective buyer's eye to the most attactive piece in the living area. It's a very effective sales technique that most folks don't give any real consideration to until they've bought the house and then the W-S. If I were to buy new construction (not in this lifetime), the theatre/listening area would be my first consideration. The woodstove could find a home someplace else.

David