Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340c v. ELT center

This is why I love this company. []

JH

I am so pleased to be an ascend customer.[]

Wow. I just learned a lot. Dave...I can't wait to give you my money...

(checks acount...not time yet...) DAMN!

Jon O.

ps: somebody send him one of *those speakers* from *that* place so he can measure!

Dave,

First of all, excellent post. I think the speakers are wonderful, and that post helps explains why they are. I do have one comment for you though per a comment you made there as well as one you made in the "340c got a bad review": I think internet hype is you guys friends, not your enemy. As an internet company, I dont see how you guys can avoid the scrutany of the internet, even if its from audiophile wannabees. Taking an optimistic point of view, there's just too many (honest) people around that the truth, whatever that is, isnt gonna come out. I wasnt gonna spend ~1500 on speakers until i did a comprehensive online review of all the choices available to me. I did that one month ago, and from my analysis you guys came out on top for that dollar range. Sure many say you should demo speakers for yourself first, but i'm a busy man and have no problem trusting the concensuses of the masses. I like the odds of ~98 percent (or better) out of 100 ascend listeners loving their speakers. As it turned out, i love mine too.

I guess it is theoretically possible for a large number of people to attack an excellent company that makes superb and afforadle products. But lets get real: If you ask me, the only companies that have anything to fear from internet scrutany are those that make poor and/or overpriced products (*cough* **** *cough*). So I say embrase the internet - if for no other reason because you guys are winning: at lease you are from where i'm sitting.

Hi,

Just getting back from a succesfull CES.

Thanks so much for the nice comments in this important thread

Azanon- I am certainly not against unbiased Internet hype and I am ALL FOR intense product scrutiny. A fine example of this was sending our CBM-170 up to Canada for intense third party measurements in a "true" anechoic chamber. We had no idea we would end up winning a Year End Award due to this. I think we might be the only "net direct" loudspeaker manufacturer that continues to send our products to knowledgeable reviewers who have the technical background to take real world measurements. Not software simulated.

I will put our loudspeakers up against ANY out there in double blind listening tests and objective measurements.

What bothers me about Internet Hype are the hundreds or sometimes even thousands of people posting things like "best bang for the buck" or "best loudspeaker for the money ever" or simply, "my speaker is better than yours...".

Our line of loudspeakers will reproduce the source material more accurately than the majority of our competitors. This is what we believe the definition of a loudspeaker is.

Other manufacturers strive for their own "signature sound". Is one design "better" than another. It is ALL just a matter of opinion.

I heard a pair of loudspeakers at CES that literally blew me away. I loved them and for the quality they offered were surprisingly affordable. I won't give anything away but they were not net direct. I even preferred these over a $60,000 pair of loudspeakers I heard. However, I still can't say that one is "better" than another.. just different. If I even mentioned that I (as a consumer) were interested in hearing other peoples feedback on this speaker, I am convinced that all I would get would be, "Don't buy that, buy this, mine sound better"

The audio forums are a great tool for learning and resarching, but they have become so incredibly biased towards particular brands that people in the know simply can't stand reading the majority of the posts.

A good product certainly deserves hype, as does a very bad product. However, when the hype becomes so jaded that someone is frowned upon because they liked brand X better, this damages our entire industry.

I say bring on the hype, but let us all be open minded, RESPECT someone else's opinion, and, develop our own opinion's instead of falling into and being swallowed up by other people's opinion's.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

DaveF- My money is on these- http://www.adnm.com/cesclarity.htm

Nope... but I wish I had heard these!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for that follow-up Dave. I can't argue that the best way to go about evaluating speakers on a personal level is to listen to them for yourself and go with your preferences. And when doing so, its possible you could end preferring a set of speakers that is not one of the popular hyped-up brands at the time. With infinite time, money, and patience (ie: shipping heavy speakers back to a company), that's what i would have done.

I guess just due to limited time, i went with a mathematics/probability approach. Let me use an analogy: I have a new baby boy, and lets pretend he never got to drink a softdrink of any kind until he was eight. Then i could set a Coca-cola, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, and Orange Crush on the counter. My son could ask me, which one will taste best? What would my answer be? There is no correct answer, because it is a subjective matter of opinion... but that being said, i'd tell him you'll probably like the Coke Best, which would be a mathematically correct statement. Why? Cause more people prefer the flavor "cola" over all other softdrink flavors. Its a statistical fact, regardless of how much that might piss one off if Coke is not one's favorite.*

My second choice was Rockets in my personal decision. Wanna know one of the main reasons i didnt choose them? That catchy name of theirs. "Onix Rockets" Damn that sounds cool. Cool enough to win several hundred customers on phonetics alone. In fact, i cant decide which sounds cooler, **** or "Rockets". They seemed to have roughly the same spirited following (ok maybe a tad more, :-) ) that you guys have, but you guys dont have that, hit you in the chest name. So why are you guys so popular then? Was it the name? Ehh - its ok but its not "****". How bout the finish on the speaker? Nah, nothing fancy there though a very well built speaker. How bout the logo? nope. What the hell is it then? Was it a big price tag? Nope. The only thing i could come up with was that its the sound.

Dont get me wrong though. I put a lot of stock into those third-party reviews as well (ie: the Canadian one).

Bradley

* Admittingly, the chances of him liking either Dr. Pepper, Sprite, or Orange over just Coke "might" be greater, but you get my point.

Terrific point and very well explained!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I remember when "MTM" meant "Mary Tyler Moore"! []