Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reference Quality Music

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Your place? The SE's are much more portable than the Ref3's.
    hehehe....but he was willing to cart them over to Ascend, I'm not that far from there.

But I'm not proud, I will cart the Ascends his way too.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by boludaso
    I'd swear Dave said he built a quasi-anochaic chamber. even if not, love to see the shop and breath near some SEs.
    Hi boludaso,

Yes -- I do have a chamber at the office which is accurately tuned down to about 150Hz. You would definitely NOT want to listen to any loudspeaker in there.... While it is good for hearing differences between speakers, it is not an accurate representation of what the speaker would sound like in a listening environment. I don't even like standing in there -- annoyingly quiet.

Curtis is right, we don't have a listening room at the factory (at least not yet). I do most of my listening at my home when the kids and the wife are fast asleep in what I consider a real world environment.

For music, I listen to many styles with each trying to focus on a different instrument (Male / Female vocals, guitar (acoustic/electric), piano, drums, wind instruments etc.)

Off the top of my head, some of my favs include: Nils Logren, Diana Krall, Jesse Cook, TLC, Norah Jones, Santana (Supernatural is a wonderful CD), Dave Matthews, For Duke (Duke Ellington), Seal, Herbie Hancock, Shaggy (wife turned me on to him) and many, many more... Lately I have been really into Ray LaMontagne, RHCP (new CD) and Black Eyed Peas.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

An absolutely stellar audio quality is the (remastered) Miles Davis - Live At Newport Jazz Fest 1956. It's an early stereo recording, has astounding clarity, and you can hear the crowd, the sound engineers cracking jokes, Miles tapping his foot, the bassist humming, etc. Check it.

Listening to it is the closest to time travel I've experienced...