Thread: Looking to compliment my 340's

Default Looking to compliment my 340's

Hi there,

I have a pair of 340's up front, a pair of 170's for the rear and a HSU VTF3-MKII. They are powered by a Pioneer 1017tx-k. I'd like to get a center channel but now that the SE's are out, I'm not sure what to do.

Can I upgrade my existing 340's to SE's myself? Is there a process in place to do this? Should I do this or just leave them alone and get a 340SE center?

Thanks!

Eric

The new SE drivers don't fit the 340 cabinet. If you do the SE upgrade you are getting a brand new pair of speakers. The 340SE is timbre matched to the classic as well. Doing just the CC as an SE should be fine.

How much is the upgrade for 2 340's to 340SE's? Also, how much would it be to upgrade my older 170's to the new version?

Thanks,

Eric

I don't know about the 340's, but last I was quoted about the 170 upgrade was $180. That covered the new drivers and crossover swapout, testing, cleaning, packing and return shipping.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have both the 340 SE's and the Classics. I've used the 340C with the 340 SE mains and it worked really well. The SE's go lower but for a center channel, that's not a major issue for my purposes.

David

Eric,

If you want, I'd be happy to sell my 340c (classic version) to you. I've been meaning to replace it with a 340SEc, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you want SE's all around, consider selling everything and buying new ones. While I had my 170SE's upgraded (because of the special finish), it's a better deal all around if you sell classics and buy new SE's. It's usually cheaper than having Ascend upgrade them for you, someone else gets a decent deal on used speakers, and Ascend doesn't make money on upgrades anyway.