Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dont know what to do?

Hi Scottyh,

First thing, it is important for you to understand that aural memory is *very* short. I would recommend that you try and obtain the Polks once again so that you can compare them directly with each other.

That being said, much of what you have described sounds like a setup issue. Please answer my below questions.

When i watch movies with the Ascends I find myself putting the receiver on music mode so that the voices come fom all three speakers instead of having the receiver on movie where just the center has the voices like it should be.
    Have you gone through your receiver’s speaker configuration setup? If so, how did you level match the front 3 speakers?

Where do you have the left and right speakers positioned? Are these on stands? How high off the floor?

Where is the center channel located? Would it be possible to send me a digital picture of the front of the room? You can attach it to this thread of just email it to me.

When you switched out the Polk’s and connected the Ascend’s, did you leave all the speaker level settings the same within the receiver?

What crossover setting are you using for the speakers? I am wary of the subwoofer you are using – it might actually degrade the overall sound if there is a problem with phase.

The 340 SE and the Polk Monitor 70’s are *very* different speakers… Like comparing a sports car to a diesel truck… Both are very good at what they were designed to do but still very different from each other. The 340 SE will never deliver that “big room filling sound” as the large Polk is designed to do (unless you decide to add a quality subwoofer). On the flip side, the Monitor 70 will never deliver the accuracy, precise imaging and subtle details within the source that the 340 SE were designed for. If you are just looking for large, room filling sound – those Polks might be the best option for you. However, it is important to understand that the 340 SE are true audiophile speakers and are what experienced audio enthusiasts “graduate” to from speakers like these Polks – once they become aware of the inaccuracies of the reproduction. It is a completely different customer base.

I am confident that there is large room for improvements but we need to start with the basics.

I look forward to hearing back from you!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the response to everyone, I think everyone here is the reason i will be keeping these speakers...
    In response to Dave's questions:
    I have gone through the speaker config. using the Avia disc and an SPL meter. However I was very confused when it came to calibrating the subwoofer with the speakers as far as setting the phase, level, croosover, etc.. I didnt really spend time much time with that portion of it because i was just passing it off as a bad subwoofer. I probably wont have the money to upgrade for a couple months though so i would like to calibrate it like it should be for now.. For right now I have the crossover set to 80 hz on my receiver and all the speakers set to small. My sub has an output adjust on the back of it which i have turned all the way up thinking i need as much bass out of it as possible. Im an audiophile in training so excuse me if this is way off.
    I have attached a picture of my setup but is not very clear because i took it with my phone.. but the general idea should be there. http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...20/mysetup.jpg I am waiting on an omnimount for the top of my TV for the center channel because right now it is almost facing upwards.. Also I just placed the order for the Ascend speakerstands a few moments ago because it appears that these speakerstands are a little too high... From what im being told the tweeter should be ear level and right now it is more like the bottom woofer is almost ear level. I am hoping that these changes will at least make the sweet spot sound better.however this is a somewhat large room with lots of seating and it would be nice if everyone could have some good sound as well instead of just me.. I know what Dave said as far as having the room filling sound with the polks which was nice.. Will a nice sub give that room filling sound in a way? I dont know how that would be.. Either way thanks again for everyones help..
    Last edited by scottyh; 10-19-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottyh
    Thanks for the response to everyone, I think everyone here is the reason i will be keeping these speakers...
    In response to Dave's questions:
    I have gone through the speaker config. using the Avia disc and an SPL meter. However I was very confused when it came to calibrating the subwoofer with the speakers as far as setting the phase, level, croosover, etc.. I didnt really spend time much time with that portion of it because i was just passing it off as a bad subwoofer. I probably wont have the money to upgrade for a couple months though so i would like to calibrate it like it should be for now.. For right now I have the crossover set to 80 hz on my receiver and all the speakers set to small. My sub has an output adjust on the back of it which i have turned all the way up thinking i need as much bass out of it as possible. Im an audiophile in training so excuse me if this is way off.
    I have attached a picture of my setup but is not very clear because i took it with my phone.. but the general idea should be there. http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...20/mysetup.jpg I am waiting on an omnimount for the top of my TV for the center channel because right now it is almost facing upwards.. Also I just placed the order for the Ascend speakerstands a few moments ago because it appears that these speakerstands are a little too high... From what im being told the tweeter should be ear level and right now it is more like the bottom woofer is almost ear level. I am hoping that these changes will at least make the sweet spot sound better.however this is a somewhat large room with lots of seating and it would be nice if everyone could have some good sound as well instead of just me.. I know what Dave said as far as having the room filling sound with the polks which was nice.. Will a nice sub give that room filling sound in a way? I dont know how that would be.. Either way thanks again for everyones help..
    If you have the room to spare, I would try placing the L/R's farther apart - the ideal ratio is .73(x) (where x is the distance from the listening position to the midpoint between the L/R's). Just glanced at your photo, and it seemed like, per the apparent dimensions, it could help.
    Jon O.

Also try moving the speakers forward so they are somewhat closer to you than the face of the TV screen. You are gonna need a better sub to fill the room. For now try the SE's full range without your HTIB sub in the mix. I'd bet the SE's fullrange can reproduce the bass contained in most music much more accurately than crossing to your HTIB sub.

Randy

How would i go about doing that?

I'm not familiar with configuring your Onkyo but setting the speakers to "large" with the sub off should do the trick. I guess what I am trying to suggest is that no sub may sound better than using a poor quality overdriven sub.

Randy

Thanks Lou.. I just tried that with a DMB dvd.. The bass was not as good but it definitally hit the low tones better than Ive ever heard them before.. If only I could have both.. maybe ill get that sub a little sooner than id planned

not sure your location, scotty, but if you're in socal i wouldnt mind brining my pioneer over to help you, and you would then give me the chance to hear the 340s.

i've used polk for years (1989 as the first purchase), and found its sound to be just right for me. but when i compared them to them to the 170s, there was a huge difference in sound. I have rm4300 5.1 system (http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/equ...all-page2.html) and 170s. if i want loud big sound i use the polks. but when the kids are in bed and i need some me time, i put the recr in stereo mode and only use the 170s with the sub. the detail of the 170 is unreal, and the smoothness is awesome. i tell everyone i refer to Acsend Acoustics that the company should change its name to Audio Orgasm.

Quote Originally Posted by boludaso
    i tell everyone i refer to Acsend Acoustics that the company should change its name to Audio Orgasm.
    Oh that's funny.
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by boludaso
    not sure your location, scotty, but if you're in socal i wouldnt mind brining my pioneer over to help you, and you would then give me the chance to hear the 340s.
    You are welcome to come to my place as well, but you have to keep your orgasm outside.
    -curtis