Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: SE Measurements

NP at all curtis, I kinda figured that.

m
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....

I would like to see measurements on the hb-1 because I have doubts about the midbass energy it might have without the mbm. Wasn't it originally shown at the Cedia 2006 with the mbm? Curtis I agree with you about 3rd party measurements being more reliable than others but I try to have faith that manufacturers would be truthful until otherwise proven wrong. For instance I have never once doubted any measurement Ascend has put out. I guess I just expect that out of everyone.

jad, I heard the HB-1 with an MBM-12 and VTF-3HO/turbo at the HES show in Los Angeles back in June....sounded very good. If I remember correctly, the higher crossover was at 80hz, with the MBM crossed to the HO at 50hz.

Also heard the HB-1 with no sub, the bass extension is no different than any other bookshelf with a +-3db of 60hz.

One thing about Ascend's graphs is at least the one of the classic 170 matched up well with the one done by Soundstage. The only other speaker company that I have seen with graphs that match with third party is Axiom.
    -curtis

I also agree on 3rd party measurements, 2 would be better even(with the SAME gear/conditions).
    That would show folks whats really going on there.
    Some of the claims I am seeing are a bit curious IMO.

Physics, while NOT the end all, do mean something IMO...........

As far as the faith is concerned.... I forget that at the door to my bank ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by muzz
    I also agree on 3rd party measurements, 2 would be better even(with the SAME gear/conditions).
    That would show folks whats really going on there.
    Some of the claims I am seeing are a bit curious IMO.
    Agreed. I have no doubt that when Ascend speakers get measured again, they will measure very well.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

Also heard the HB-1 with no sub, the bass extension is no different than any other bookshelf with a +-3db of 60hz.
    If 60hz is an accurate +-3db and they don't have any other serious variations higher up then they shouldn't have a problem posting a FR graph.

Quote Originally Posted by jad5
    If 60hz is an accurate +-3db and they don't have any other serious variations higher up then they shouldn't have a problem posting a FR graph.
    Agreed, but there are other speakers that measure well and the manufacturer doesn't advertise a graph.
    -curtis

Neither should HTD(as far as posting their own measurements), but they don't either, and some folks think they are the cats meow.
    Maybe they are....

I dunno why, but I like to see it by the Manufacturer, then a second measurement by a 3rd party if possible.

I'd tend to give a company extra credit for posting a verifiable measurement, rather knocking one if they didn't.

muzz, I am going to order some HTDs....you want to come out and listen to them?
    -curtis

I'd love to curtis.
    I'd get to meet you and listen to some great tunage on some great speakers.
    I'd guess the HTDs sound great from all the talk, I KNOW the Ascends do from personal listening.

I'd love to just take the 1/2hr drive over...... OOOOOO wait........