Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: SE Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Ummm....I just noticed, because someone posted a graph in the AVS forum, the new measurements are up:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...t340mmeas.html

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...bm170meas.html
    Check out the "smoothed" versions!!
    -curtis

lol, it's a straight line.

A couple of flatliners, eh!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Holy wow.
    Jon O.

I'd greatly appreciate an explanation of how to read the CSD graph. Many thanks!

Dan

"We actually post a very revealing graph on our website called the cumulative spectral decay. This is seldom understood, but still a highly important measurement. This is a measurement of a fast impulse consisting of thousands of frequencies ranging from 400Hz to 20Khz. What the graph reveals is what “noise” is left over once the initial impulse stops (in milliseconds). " http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...2&postcount=17

Use the search function with the term, cumulative spectral decay. You will find more explanations but most of it is in regard to the differences between the old 170 and 340 classsics. I didn't turn up anything regarding the new SE versions and CSD.

This is a little off topic but in the specifications section there are no crossover points or type given. Are they listed somewhere else? If not does anyone know what they are.

The crossover is the heart-n-soul of a speaker, so it is proprietary information that Ascend probably wants to keep out of the hands of it's competitors. Sure, someone can disect a crossover and reverse-engineer it, but they are not going to give it away for free.

Dave put in a ton of R&D for the SE's with the related time/financial investment. I assume he has been awarded, or applied for, patents. I know the SEAS tweeter is exclusively his, with a variation available from SEAS. I ASSume the same goes for the new woofers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    The crossover is the heart-n-soul of a speaker, so it is proprietary information that Ascend probably wants to keep out of the hands of it's competitors. Sure, someone can disect a crossover and reverse-engineer it, but they are not going to give it away for free.

Dave put in a ton of R&D for the SE's with the related time/financial investment. I assume he has been awarded, or applied for, patents. I know the SEAS tweeter is exclusively his, with a variation available from SEAS. I ASSume the same goes for the new woofers.
    Right now I'm looking for speakers and the Ascends are some I'm considering. I've been to many web sites and I don't remember too many of them not listing what order the crossover is and what the crossover points are.

This is really a vendor preference item. Let's do a quick survey of ID brands:

Axiom: x-over point, but not slope/order
    AV123: varies by speaker, most have x-over point but not slope (some have slope, some have neither)
    Aperion: no x-over info
    SVS: no x-over info
    Hsu Research: no x-over info
    ACI: no x-over info
    Home Theater direct: both x-over point and order
    VMPS: x-over point, but not slope/order
    Odyssey: no x-over info

I didn't go around and survey all of the big store brands since I didn't want to take that much time, but from the online brands it's clear there isn't a standard for what, if any, crossover info is given.