Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossover question w/340SE

Default Crossover question w/340SE

I would assume most owners crossover the 340SE at 80htz. Has anyone experimented with a 100htz crossover? If so, results please.
    I am awaiting delivery of the DD18 I ordered to go with my Ascend system and I am wondering if the sub will be too much for this system. I am throwing around the idea of running the DD18 15-50htz and adding two NHT U1, one under each frt 340SE, and running those 50-100htz. Of course the 340SEs would take over at 100.
    Thoughts on this?

I properly calibrated sub no matter the quality of the sub will remain balanced with speakers. Some folks crossover at 60Hz.

Since bass is much harder to reproduce cleanly at higher volumes than mids and highs, I'm of the opinion that too much sub is probably just right. During tests of my system at high volume, my HSU VTF-3MkII in max extension mode will start port-chuffing before my Ascends run out of steam, and the HSU is definately no slouch. HSU is coming out with a mid bass module, and bass gurus such as Mark Seaton are fans of and have experimented with breaking up bass duty to more than one system. That being said, it most likely will be harder to integrate the NHT's and Velo than it would to just use the single DD18. The questions to ask yourself are what are you trying to achieve with such a system, what will the system be used for, and do you typically listen at such a volume that it will be necessary? As far as the recommended crossover point of the 340SE's, that will depend on many factors including room size, typical listening levels, surround type, and just good ol' personal preference. I run my 340 Classics at 80HZ.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by RJW
    I would assume most owners crossover the 340SE at 80htz. Has anyone experimented with a 100htz crossover? If so, results please.
    I am awaiting delivery of the DD18 I ordered to go with my Ascend system and I am wondering if the sub will be too much for this system. I am throwing around the idea of running the DD18 15-50htz and adding two NHT U1, one under each frt 340SE, and running those 50-100htz. Of course the 340SEs would take over at 100.Thoughts on this?
    I did experiment with 100hz crossover when I first got my 340's but that was too long ago to remember specifics. I just remember that I didn't like the results. Because my receiver only does 80hz and above, I'm stuck with 80 which is fine for movies but I don't consider it ideal for music.
    My SE's should be arriving next week and I'll experiment with forgoing a sub altogether for music. I'll be using an STF-1 for comparison. It's always best to do your own experiments and go from there. Let us know how it turns out.

David

Hope you guys will allow me a brief hijack. David, let us know what you think about the new SE's. I'm still happily running Classics, but always have the upgrade itch.
    - EVH III

I know we are talking about 340's here but I have been running my 170s SE's crossed at 100hz as it gives my a flatter response through the octaves above and below the crossover than the 80hz crossover. The 40hz to 200hz region it is clearly better in my room at 100hz crossover. My sub is a STF-2 btw.

Yes one of the reasons I brought this up is the frequency response chart shows the 340SE begins to drop at 100htz. Now, I am a complete newbie to this hobby and the slight drop I see may not be that significant. I will just have to experiment when I get the DD18 here. I guess I was just worried about a midbass dip.

Quote Originally Posted by RJW
    Yes one of the reasons I brought this up is the frequency response chart shows the 340SE begins to drop at 100htz. Now, I am a complete newbie to this hobby and the slight drop I see may not be that significant. I will just have to experiment when I get the DD18 here. I guess I was just worried about a midbass dip.
    You're talking about a 2dB drop by the time it reaches 60Hz. It would take a pretty quiet room and some careful listening for most people to hear that. That graph is an anechoic measurement. Who knows what your room is going to sound like, if you have any nodes you need to tamed, or what kind of room gain you'll get. I'd get your DD18 and calibrate the system and see how you like it before spending the money on the NHT subs for 50-100Hz.

I have 340se's across the front and 170se's for the four rears, a HSU vtf3mk2, and a Pio 1015(lowest crossovers are 50hz and 80hz). I use the 80hz crossover but have always wanted to use the 50hz. The reasons that stopped me are 1. did not want to harm the 170se's 2. wanted to keep all speakers flat down to the crossover point 3. did not want to strain the Pio using such a low crossover. I usually listen at about 10db below reference which is 75db on the Pio. Would dropping the crossover to 50hz cause any of the above three to occur? Because I do not listen at reference can my speakers have a flat respones with a 50hz crossover?

Thanks
    CBM-170 L,C,R,LS,RS,BS
    Pioneer 1015
    HSU VTF 3 MK II

Quote Originally Posted by moehop
    Would dropping the crossover to 50hz cause any of the above three to occur? Because I do not listen at reference can my speakers have a flat respones with a 50hz crossover?
    Lots of variables. For movies, 80hz is probably where ya wanna be. For music, what speakers are engaged? If just the L/R 340's, give 50hz a try and let us know how it worked. Your room will have something to do with how well it works or doesn't work. You won't damage your speakers at 50hz so give it a whirl. Other regulars on this forum have used and are using <80hz settings. I'm sure you'll hear from them as well.

David