Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Floorstanding loudspeakers?

C'mon, Quinn...

The operative phrase is well-designed (not "typical") 3-way speaker. I have no doubt that if DaveF were to design such a speaker, the midrange would be properly isolated in a sub-enclosure, and the described issue simply wouldn't arise.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Me three.

David
    Me four...but I would need a new room too.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    C'mon, Quinn...

The operative phrase is well-designed (not "typical") 3-way speaker. I have no doubt that if DaveF were to design such a speaker, the midrange would be properly isolated in a sub-enclosure, and the described issue simply wouldn't arise.
    Yeah...I'm sure Dave would do it right.
    -curtis

Great stuff GaryB!

Very well thought out and when and *IF* the time comes to release a floorstander, you can be sure it will be done right.

I will say this, there are some very exciting things planned for 2007
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef

Like new products exciting, or new babies exciting?

As always, I'm rooting for a more full range speaker and a wood veneer option.

I find it interesting that the assumption about a 3-way seems focused on a smaller mid. Why not the existing M-T-M or T-M supplemented with a woofer or two?

I'm with Brad. More of a full range model with the pretty stuff for the WAF. I'd like something that would play down in the 30's with authority. Something that could be used for 2 channel and also would really belt it out as fronts for HT crossed over around 60-80HZ. Since a crossover isn't a brick wall, the extra displacement would be used to get you up around Dolby ref level without strain.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Great stuff GaryB!

Very well thought out and when and *IF* the time comes to release a floorstander, you can be sure it will be done right.

Thanks, Dave. (...closest I could come to a "blushing" smilie...) I knew I was sticking my neck out when I made that post and appreciate your not chopping my head off! As always, I'm looking forward to any and all new developments from Ascend.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I find it interesting that the assumption about a 3-way seems focused on a smaller mid. Why not the existing M-T-M or T-M supplemented with a woofer or two?
    Hi, Brad. I certainly did consider the possibilty of essentially adding two more 6-1/2" woofer cones to the existing CBM-170 SE drivers and crossing over at ~200 Hz. I have seen variations on this theme from other manufacturers (I think Onix is doing something similar with one of the 17 upcoming variations of the x-series... you should know ). All things considered, this alternative would probably work equally well for a floor-stander.

OTOH, the possibility of a 3-way center in a slim cabinet is very compelling to me and requires a smaller midrange driver. Once I had made that decision, the prospect of matching drivers in the center and tower became irresistible.

A variation for the tower would be a MTMWW array (top-to-bottom) using the smaller mid, as you suggest for the larger mid. This would require a taller cabinet to keep the tweeter at the same height, however, and I'm not sure that the results would justify the added expense and complexity.

I can see Dave just sitting back, taking it all in and letting out a big "Muh-wahhahahahahahaha!!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

(I think Onix is doing something similar with one of the 17 upcoming variations of the x-series... you should know ).
    I don't know anything more about these products than anyone else who reads the AV123 forum.

A variation for the tower would be a MTMWW array (top-to-bottom) using the smaller mid, as you suggest for the larger mid. This would require a taller cabinet to keep the tweeter at the same height...
    I'm missing how this would require a taller cabinet. It shouldn't be any taller than the 340's on stands since that's already an MTM with large M's. Did I miss what you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I don't know anything more about these products than anyone else who reads the AV123 forum.
    Fair enough. You do have quite a presence there, and I have seen in posts at AVSforum that you seem to have a cordial relationship with Mark Schifter. I really wasn't implying anything sinister... sorry if it came across that way.

I'm missing how this would require a taller cabinet. It shouldn't be any taller than the 340's on stands since that's already an MTM with large M's. Did I miss what you meant?
    My proposed tower design specified a height of no more than 40'', since I'd like the tweeter at ~36". And you're right, adding another 4" driver above the tweeter would increase the height to just about exactly match the CMT-340 on its stand (45"). Not a biggie, but I prefer a 38"-40" height for my compact tower.
    Last edited by GaryB; 11-21-2006 at 03:43 PM.

My proposed tower design specified a height of no more than 40''...
    Ah, I missed that you had a target height of 40". I think that would only be realistic in something like a TMW or TMWW design.

begin long aside.....

BTW: Mark and I definitely know each other and we only live 2 miles apart, but it's not like we get together or even talk much. I saw him at the RMAF last month, but it was the first time I'd seen him since the RMAF last year. It's a fun forum (lots of activity, but not crazy like AVS) and I know the folks at their office from events and from stopping by to pick things up on occasion. I've done a bit of work with Mark (or rather, other folks working on projects for him) on a couple of items, but not currently. I learned quite a bit from several folks (designers and engineers of various types) at the couple of AV123 events in town (held a mile from my house), which has been cool.

Of course, the RMAF has been a great event for meeting designers/engineers. It's very interesting to get each person's different take on the same type of products. My favorite this past RMAF was probably Frank VanAlstine - very smart guy who's been designing electronics for my entire lifetime. He's very anti-audiophile fluff and was at a show with a lot of it. He went into details on his amp designs and how he was able to use a wider bandwidth than most - it was cool.

I think the only thing all of them had in common was that they all had an opinion (or five or six).

end long aside....