Thread: MojoPac

Question MojoPac

Hi All,

Wondering if any of you PC gurus have any experience with this new software product. http://www.mojopac.com/

It initially appears like it would make my life much easier (allow me to work more efficiently from different locations)

Any opinions?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'd be happy to check it out for some quick vetting. You should note that the current version of the software requires admin access to the host system (don't know why they are pitching it for something like an internet cafe that would never give you that level of access). There are also several features listed as coming in versions 1.1 or 2.0, so this looks pretty new.

Thanks Brad!

I know this is still very new but software like this can really make my job (and probably millions (billions?)) of others much simpler. No more lugging laptops around with me everywhere.

As you mentioned.. it does seem strange that you will need admin access to the XP machine. That could be problematic. I would also be concerned with security and if using this software on another machine leaves any trace.

Still, it is a fantastic idea and if it truly works as advertised, I would buy stock in this company
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Still, it is a fantastic idea and if it truly works as advertised, I would buy stock in this company
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on technology developed by another company I know. As for buying stock in that company, Microsoft already bought the whole company.

Very interesting product.

Brad, did you try it out?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    As for buying stock in that company, Microsoft already bought the whole company.
    Figures -- I am always one step behind on these things

Guess that's why Bill Gates is ...... Bill Gates.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I've been playing with MojoPac a bit today - luckily this type of thing is actually in-scope for my job since we're likely to start seeing it on campus.

It definitely works in the manner I was thinking (like Softricity Softgrid - the company that MS bought), but different in some important ways.

It does seem to work as advertised, although their readme files have more and more caveats. The biggest one is that you can't access the host computer's hard drives from the MojoPac. It does, however, have a function for copying the My Documents and config stuff from a host.

On a certain level, it's like starting with a new machine because the Mojo is just like a fresh Windows install - no applications. You have to install all of the applications you want, which makes sense.

It's a bit ugly on the removable drive since it puts itself at the root with a bunch of folders you'd normally see on a computer's C drive (Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings, etc.). I wish it would install itself to a sub-directory instead.

It isn't clear yet how isolated the Mojo and the host really are. For example, they seem to share a clipboard so you can copy-and-paste between them.

It's important to note that it doesn't protect your data at all - unless you have some encryption technology on your drive, anyone who picks it up can read all of your files stored in Mojo without any password. A password is required to start Mojo, but that doesn't really protect anything.

While I wouldn't want to make a Mojo my primary system (it's easy to lose or break your portable drive), I could see myself buying this software, especially if they work out running as a non-admin in v2.

I still have some poking/vetting to do, but it's pretty promising so far.

Hi Brad,

I just purchased a 4meg USB flash drive... What has your overall impression been with the mojopac?

U3 seems like an interesting option as well --- but too limited compared to mojopac..

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I haven't really learned much more since my last post. I'm hoping to see them release version 1.1 to really give it a spin.

Yes, U3 is similar, but must more limited since you have to buy a U3 drive and only run U3 applications.

BTW: I hope you bought a 4Gig USB drive and not a 4Meg one.