Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: new ascend system... what to get

this panasonic xr57 reciever really has me curious but my mind cant stop thinking that thee is no way a 280 dollar reciever that weighs 9 lbs is going to out perform a 700 dllar reciever.....ahhh im confuseeeeddddd
    "there is no spoon"

Digital amps. Sonic Impact T-Amp for example, its 30$ and by mostly all accounts sounds wonderful.

Well, it turns out there is more - to talk about. It might seem more than a little unfair to put the $39 T-amp into a $30K+ high-performance audio system to see what it can do.
    [...]
    Now, here's the deal: If I blindfolded you and had you listen to the amps in my collection right now -- the Almarro EL84 SEP stereo integrated with its punchy pace & rhythm and slightly dark & warm but naturally detailed soundstage; the emotive and musical Fi 2A3 SET monoblocks with their open, relaxed, dynamic and detailed sound; and the Yamamoto 45 SET stereo amplifier with its clean, clear, spacious, über-detailed and artfully musical sound -- and if after that, I slipped the T-amp into the mix and asked you to comment on its sound... what do you think you'd say? I guess it'd be close to what Bill said: "Its sonic signature reminds me most of the Yamamoto 45. It is clean-sounding with lots of detail and decent rhythm and pace. Not quite as smooth and musical but very good." When I told Bill and Pete that the T-amp cost a mere $39, they were flabbergasted. After I placed the T-amp into Bill's hands so he could "look" at it, he burst out in a marvelous laughter over its combination of light weight, small size and heavyweight performance.
    [...]
    The Bottom Line
    I'd say Srajan nailed the Tripath signature sound when he described the eVo 2i: "Crystalline transparency; a tube-like midrange purity, naturalness of timbre and monster soundstaging without the bloom of valves; wonderful bass; and very extended yet silky treble that's never grating or dull but just right." Srajan was describing a $3200 integrated but the amazing thing is that those same words also pretty much describe the sound of the Sonic Impact T-amp integrated.
    I can't speak up on the Panasonics really since I haven't even heard it... But from what I read/heard, it does look like a very good performer, offering as good performance as those 700$ analog amps... Thing is the T-Amp is like 10 watts... But then again, the Panasonics are like 100 watts. Cheaper, cooler, wastes less energy... Way of the future?

You were the one who brought up bang for the buck... If you go thru the 100 page thread I'm sure you'll find some who compare it to Yamaha and other stuff...

There's even a new T-Amp: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact2/t2.html
    In comparisons to some very expensive state-of-art valve amplifiers like the Fi 2A3 monos, the Tom Evans Linear A, the Yamamoto A-08 and the Art Audio PX-25, the SoT acquitted itself quite well. It is not as good as those amplifiers either in sound quality or ability to play music but it is not so far off the pace as to be completely embarrassed by the comparison. Heck, golden-eared Pete actually liked it better than the Yamamoto 45 in his system, which I think is a brilliant amplifier! I think the new T-Amp is best paired with ancillary equipment a touch to the warm and forgiving side but there is no doubt about it - the new Sonic Impact is a breakthrough product that brings high performance to the unimaginably low price point of $139. This is the least expensive high performance amplifier ever made available to audio hobbyists and the easiest recommendation imaginable. I suspect it will be an absolute success for Big Rich. If you want one, you better hurry. My bet is Big Rich will sell out of the new T-Amps quick. A Blue Moon award winner if I've ever seen one!
    YMMV. But it doesn't look like you can really go wrong with the XR55/57 (or other digital amplifiers) if you're really after bang for the buck!
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 09-27-2006 at 07:28 PM.

ahhhhh this s killing me guys. I appreciate all the info. RIght now im pretty much between the pioneer elite VSX80TXV $650 the yamaha rxv1500 $500, and the panasonic xr57 $250.... lets take votes lol

Be wary with the NAD - I've heard they've been horrid on the Quality Control as of late. Keep your receipt handy.

Hmm...Pioneer vs. Yamaha...

Yeah, that's hurting my brain.

this panasonic xr57 reciever really has me curious but my mind cant stop thinking that thee is no way a 280 dollar reciever that weighs 9 lbs is going to out perform a 700 dllar reciever.....
    Don't underestimate it because of price or weight. The efficiency and weight savings of digital switching power supplies and amps mean that even an inexpensive one can perform as well as an analog design costing more. I have an HK7200 and an XR-55 and both sound fantastic with my Ascends. The HK was in the shop when I bought the XR-55, and I kept the XR-55 in the main system. The Panasonic has fewer inputs and less features but it sounds just as good. There are minor audible differences but when you consider the price difference it's amazing what the XR-55 does for the price.

I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver (4 years old) currently, and I've been nothing but happy with it. So while I don't think you can go wrong with Yamaha, I'd probably have to vote for the Pioneer from your list. I've also seen the Pioneer online for less than $500

ive seen it cheap but from what ive heard if the seller isnt on yamahas list of certified sellers the warranty is no good... is this true??

Quote Originally Posted by KojiroTakenashi
    Be wary with the NAD - I've heard they've been horrid on the Quality Control as of late. Keep your receipt handy.

Hmm...Pioneer vs. Yamaha...

Yeah, that's hurting my brain.
    Stay away from NAD xx1 and xx2. The xx3 are supposed to have fixed the reliability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by greggle31
    ive seen it cheap but from what ive heard if the seller isnt on yamahas list of certified sellers the warranty is no good... is this true??
    Some companies will honor the warranty regardless of where the product was purchased. Some company websites will post their current policy, others don't. Any company can use buying through an non-authorized dealer as an excuse for not honoring a warranty. Some jurisdictions require the company to honor the warranty regardless but those laws are unenforcable if the seller and/or brand are in another jurisdiction which is almost always the case with internet sales. You can always email Yamaha and ask about the warranty and check the record of the company selling it.

David

I swear I don't have any actions in Panasonic But this thread seems to confirm what I've read. Those who compared the XR to much more expensive analog amps didn't find the analogs superior, for me that would be enough not to buy a less efficient and more expensive analog amp...

Another solution which IMHO is a good one, but might be a little more expensive, is go for pro power amps. I did when I bought a QSC 1450, and honestly its an amazing bang for the buck. Think it cost me 300$cdn, its 280 watts.. It'll cost a fraction of audiophile or ht amps, it'll have much more power and soundwise, it might not be as good as a 3000$ amp, but will blow away pretty much everything else in the sub 1000$ category... Downside, some come with fans which can be loud (though can easily replaced by almost 100% silent fans), and you need somekind of preamp. They also do power amps with more than 2 channels.

Im definitly suffering from reciever stereotyping, no pun intended. I guess its pathetic but in my heart i cant believe a reciever i can buy at walmart is as good as those other two recievers i mentioned. I was thinking about maybe getting one from cc and if im not happy with it returning it. But I know that it will prob sound decent and I wont know what the other would have sounded like. Ive got to make a decision soon before this HT takes over any more of my life. lol